sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2020 9:36 am  #1

Montreal Radio's "Jungle Jay Nelson" Passes Away

He was as popular in Montreal as Jungle Jay Nelson was here. So even if you've never heard of Ralph Lockwood, you at least have some idea how big he was during his years at CKGM. Lockwood died on Sunday, after many years off the air. 

By the way, the linked article has a great aircheck of the station in its heyday, something many of us in this market missed. 

Ralph 'Birdman' Lockwood, zany Montreal radio morning man, dies

January 13, 2020 3:18 pm  #2

Re: Montreal Radio's "Jungle Jay Nelson" Passes Away

Having grown up in Ottawa, I'd listen to locals like Ken "The General" Grant, Dean Hagopian, Gary Michaels and yes even Mark Elliott locally, but occasionally I'd tune into CKGM and when I visited my cousins in Montreal, I'd for sure listen to Ralph "Hows your bird" Lockwood...

Here is a link to a sample of his work, he was quite funny...and by modern day standards politically incorrect...

Here is a sample clip...oh ya the good old days of "Hit radio" CKGM!

http://marcdenis.com/playa.asp?lefile=air-RalphLockwood1973-2

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 13, 2020 4:42 pm  #3

Such sad news.
I worked with Ralphie on his morning show in the mid 70's
Hard working talented & a funny guy
May you rest in peace my friend

January 13, 2020 6:31 pm  #4

Here is an album that CKGM's Bob Charles and Ralph Lockwood released around 1973.  Interestingly this was on the CHUM owned Much Records label. Back then there was no ownership connection between CHUM and CKGM, although various announcers did make the drive up and down the 401 between the two stations.  Very very hard to find album, as is anything on the Much label and could become a real collectable someday.

https://www.discogs.com/Bob-Charles-2-Ralph-Lockwood-Cold-Cuts/release/12994520

Last edited by paterson1 (January 13, 2020 6:35 pm)

January 13, 2020 7:14 pm  #5

Allan Waters and Geoff Stirling did have an understanding, however. No idea how it came about nor for what purpose. Nor do I understand how it lasted because they were 2 very different people in every way.  Maybe it was a simple as that they were both eastern Top 40 station owners and thus they were not considered "quite quite" by the Radio establishment.