sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2020 11:22 am  #1

Another Bizarre Moment From The Toronto Star

Well, if the 680 problems aren't enough, imagine the red faces at the Toronto Star, which has begun the year on a less than perfect note. Displayed prominently as the lede on their web page as I post this is an editorial about resolutions they'd like to see politicians and countries keep in the next 365 days.

And unfortunately, it's not this year.

We can only assume if those resolutions from 2019 haven't happened yet, they're not going to now!

This is the second huge online gaffe from the Star in less than a month. A few weeks ago, they did this. 

Definitely a tough start for several media outlets in 2020!

January 1, 2020 11:44 am  #2

Re: Another Bizarre Moment From The Toronto Star

I see now that it's been fixed after a couple of snarky online comments about the Star needing to hire proofreaders. 

What's interesting to me is that there's no correction noted at the bottom of the article. Public editor Kathy English regularly writes on the Star's transparency at correcting its mistakes so they're visible to readers and if anything in an article gets changed, it should be noted.

Does this not meet that criteria or is it just too embarrassing to admit what happened?

January 1, 2020 2:05 pm  #3

Charlie: "Somehow, it'll be Doug Ford's fault."

Somehow? It is Doug Ford's fault...there is no somehow, it just is...lol... 

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (January 1, 2020 2:06 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 2, 2020 2:09 am  #4

Knock it off with the political comments in every post, please.  No one cares.

I come here to read out of touch old men's opinions about radio stations that no one listens to, not to read out of touch old men gushing about Doug Ford in every post.  Or Conrad Black, for that matter.

Last edited by Prod Guy (January 2, 2020 2:10 am)

January 2, 2020 11:15 am  #5

What's amusing is that although they did fix the headline, the URL still reads "2019" ( https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2020/01/01/resolutions-wed-like-to-see-in-2019.html ) - I assume to keep compatibility with links internally elsewhere on Thestar.com and externally. Most content management systems will maintain a static URL as an option - years ago many would have it rewritten when a story's headline is updated which for a "breaking news" story meant throughout the day any links to it would break.

January 2, 2020 3:36 pm  #6

AspectRatio wrote:

What's amusing is that although they did fix the headline, the URL still reads "2019" ( https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2020/01/01/resolutions-wed-like-to-see-in-2019.html ) - I assume to keep compatibility with links internally elsewhere on Thestar.com and externally. Most content management systems will maintain a static URL as an option - years ago many would have it rewritten when a story's headline is updated which for a "breaking news" story meant throughout the day any links to it would break.

...and the amateur show continues on full display over at the Star. A simple URL redirection for that particular article could have pushed folks to the correctly-labeled URL while maintaining the relevancy of existing links placed elsewhere.

It's amazing that even with the taxpayer-paid "bailout" (aka buy-off) from Trudeau, the Star still can't seem to get its act together.  Just look at the stock price!

January 2, 2020 9:36 pm  #7

Nate wrote:

AspectRatio wrote:

...and the amateur show continues on full display over at the Star. A simple URL redirection for that particular article could have pushed folks to the correctly-labeled URL while maintaining the relevancy of existing links placed elsewhere.

It's amazing that even with the taxpayer-paid "bailout" (aka buy-off) from Trudeau, the Star still can't seem to get its act together.  Just look at the stock price!

The so called "Bail Out" needs a little context. Torstar was to get about $6 million last year.  Most of this money is actually in tax credits rather than the government writing cheques. Six million is hardly a bailout, since Torstar had total revenue in 2018 of  $543 million.  2019 year end won't be available for a little while.

Incidentally Post Media was to receive $6-8 million last year of the so called Trudeau "buy-off." Post Media, not normally big supporters of the liberals or Trudeau. And again this amount, while nice, is not going to make or break the company, and not really a significant amount to a large media company like Post Media or Torstar.

A little rich to say then that this is a bailout, or buy out, or somehow all newspapers will be bowing to the government because of some tax breaks. I am not a big fan of this either but let's keep things in perspective.

It's not really an issue of the Star not being able to get it's act together since all daily papers in the country are more or less in the same situation. Some of these problems were self inflicted but most were initially issues beyond their control. That's why various daily and weekly newspapers here and in the US have folded over the past 10 years.  Much of the revenue loss for daily newspapers has been from classified and national advertising. 

Many dailies like the Star, Globe and National Post actually have more readers than ever before, however more and more of these readers are on line and not with the print product. On line readers are much more transient and it has been  difficult to make substantial money with on line advertising. Digital advertising  has not begun to replace the hundreds of millions  that has been lost from classified, national and to a lesser extent local advertising for daily papers. 

January 3, 2020 3:44 pm  #8

@ paterson1 -- I appreciate the insight you provide, and especially today in your thoughtful essay on the "bailout."

Thank you.

As an aside, holy moley! Triggered much?  That's supposed to a "lefty thing. lol