sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 15, 2019 12:44 am  #1

Windsor's Jack Scott has passed

He was at the radio reunion. I wanted to stop and say hello but had no idea of what I'd say next. I remember seeing him on American Bandstand (once ch 12 in Flint got on the air in 1958) but that has meaning to only me, he's probably heard it a million times and not in a noisy room filled with distractions.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/brian-mccollum/2019/12/14/jack-scott-detroit-rock-n-roll-obituary-death/2652690001/

December 15, 2019 1:28 am  #2

Re: Windsor's Jack Scott has passed

Warren Cosford has also written a nice tribute to him. 
https://www.fyimusicnews.ca/articles/2019/12/13/rip-jack-scott-canadas-first-rock-star

December 15, 2019 11:15 am  #3

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'd never heard of him until now. 

After spending some time on youtube this morning, I'm sad not only because he's gone, but because I've missed out on his music all these years.  One of the good things about the internet, and youtube in particular, is how it has become somewhat of a time capsule. 

This artist definitely didn't get the recognition he deserved, but at least his music will live on.

Check out this live performance from him from five years ago.  He was 77 at the time.

Last edited by Peter the K (December 15, 2019 11:15 am)

December 15, 2019 12:09 pm  #4

Probably his best known hits were "My True Love," "Goodbye Baby," "What In The World's Come Over You?" and "Leroy," but he was Cancon before there even was Cancon.

YouTube has a copy of his Greatest Hits LP on their site if you'd like to listen to any of those. 

Jack Scott's Greatest Hits

December 15, 2019 12:38 pm  #5

I may have first become aware of him when Robert Gordon along with Link Wray covered  "The Way I Walk." Neo-rockabilly which predated the Stray Cats and was played on CFNY regularly:

Last edited by Fitz (December 15, 2019 12:44 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

December 15, 2019 2:35 pm  #6

Jack was one of the greats. Although he had a great regional career, he never got the nation-wide/continent-wide attention that he deserved.

RIP.

December 15, 2019 2:43 pm  #7

Peter the K wrote:

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'd never heard of him until now. 

I'm in the same boat.  When I checked out his YouTube entries,  I recognized some of the songs;  but must admit I didn't know the artist's name or background until now..  He had a great sound.

Last edited by Media Observer (December 15, 2019 2:43 pm)

December 15, 2019 4:24 pm  #8

he was a cancon staple for canadian oldies stations/programs yet, he would have been aired even without the "fulfillment" issue.

December 15, 2019 9:11 pm  #9

I'm not sure now how many of Jack's hits I was already familiar with prior to 1971 ... because I was born in 1960, I might have just known a couple of them. But I remember CHUM giving several of his songs substantial airplay after the Cancon regs came in, and he quickly became my favourite Cancon artist. But I also kept wondering whether he was still recording, given how good his songs were and how well they still held up. I figured he was the sort of artist that might make a comeback if he was given the chance, but I got the feeling that he had unfortunately been relegated to the past. So I was very glad when I found out that Warren Cosford was a huge fan, and that Jack was still performing and finally getting more of the recognition, appreciation, and respect that I thought he very much deserved. Here's a link to all of his Billboard hits, in case that's of interest to others here.
https://www.billboard.com/music/jack-scott/chart-history/HSI/2