sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 15, 2019 4:06 pm  #1

Steve Simmons is going into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame media..

October 15, 2019 7:49 pm  #2

Re: Steve Simmons is going into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame media..

Yeah, we get it, you don't like the CFL.. .Many others do, so why be so condescending all the time?

October 15, 2019 8:32 pm  #3

paterson1 wrote:

Yeah, we get it, you don't like the CFL.. .Many others do, so why be so condescending all the time?

Because it is no longer pro football. It used to be. It is semi-pro at best. 

October 15, 2019 9:45 pm  #4

That's your opinion. You or I are not the ones who determines what is pro or semi pro, or what used to be pro football.  CFL is a somewhat different game than US football and as long as it is played here most will consider it to be Canadian Professional Football. NFL and CFL are different leagues in different countries with different rules and appeal to a mostly different fan base. Nobody has said that the two leagues are equals or one is better than the other for whatever reason. So it is still a mystery why you automatically go condescending almost every time the CFL is brought up or you comment on the league. As I said many people like the CFL, so why put them and their fans down?

October 15, 2019 9:48 pm  #5

I agree, I love the CFL, it is Canadian, it has an amazing history and even though football in Toronto has waned for a variety of reasons, it is big in Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan and Calgary...

Congrats to Steve Simmons...to be recognized as someone who did good work. This is a nice thing to have happen  in any field and it is big for him and his family...

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (October 16, 2019 6:15 am)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

October 15, 2019 10:15 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

That's your opinion. You or I are not the ones who determines what is pro or semi pro, or what used to be pro football.  CFL is a somewhat different game than US football and as long as it is played here most will consider it to be Canadian Professional Football. NFL and CFL are different leagues in different countries with different rules and appeal to a mostly different fan base. Nobody has said that the two leagues are equals or one is better than the other for whatever reason. So it is still a mystery why you automatically go condescending almost every time the CFL is brought up or you comment on the league. As I said many people like the CFL, so why put them and their fans down?

I was exhausted from all that CFL talk over the Thanksgiving Day weekend. The league is dead. Move on. There is a reason the sports radio stations don't cover it. 

October 15, 2019 11:51 pm  #7

What exhaustive CFL talk over Thanksgiving day weekend are you talking about? You said sports radio stations didn't cover them (TSN radio does for obvious reasons). And if it is time to move on, why did you start the thread in the first place? CFL is not doing well in Toronto, but Toronto is not the league. In fact if the Argos folded it wouldn't be the end of the world for the CFL. They closed down in both Ottawa and Montreal for quite a few years and came back and are doing alright now. 

October 15, 2019 11:58 pm  #8

I was being facetious about the CFL talk. There is no talk about it which should tell you something. 

Last edited by cash (October 15, 2019 11:59 pm)

October 16, 2019 9:59 am  #9

Yeah I guess no talk from people who never watch or don't like the league. That's nothing new.  These football snobs have been predicting the demise of the CFL for what 40-45 years?  Same group that tries to convince themselves that 4 million viewers of the Grey Cup, is somehow lousy ratings." And look the ratings are down from last year, so this only confirms the league is dead!!".....yup time to move on alright....

October 16, 2019 2:41 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

CFL is not doing well in Toronto, but Toronto is not the league. In fact if the Argos folded it wouldn't be the end of the world for the CFL. They closed down in both Ottawa and Montreal for quite a few years and came back and are doing alright now. 

I have never bought the argument that the Argos must be maintained if only because the CFL has to have a presence in the largest market.  Good attendance and ratings in the other cities will continue regardless of whether or not Toronto has a team.

October 19, 2019 12:04 am  #11

Maybo wrote:

cash wrote:

The league is dead. Move on. There is a reason the sports radio stations don't cover it. 

Spend some time west of Ontario and east of BC and your opinion might change. 😊

So that leaves out Canada's three biggest cities Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Some league. 

October 19, 2019 9:35 pm  #12

Maybo wrote:

cash wrote:

Maybo wrote:

Spend some time west of Ontario and east of BC and your opinion might change. 😊

So that leaves out Canada's three biggest cities Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Some league. 

By your reasoning, Canada doesn’t exist beyond Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

Can you imagine the NHL without viable teams in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver?