sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 10, 2019 8:27 pm  #1

John Moore Celebrates 10 Years As CFRB Morning Man

With so little fuss, that he only mentioned it once - and even then a few days later - John Moore noted on CFRB this week that he celebrated 10 years as the morning man at the station. He started the early shift on Oct. 5, 2009 following several years doing afternoon drive. (Remember the "Cocktail Hour?") He replaced Bill Carroll, who went to the time slot now occupied by Jerry Agar.

Moore took over in the AM just as the station rebranded itself as NewsTalk 1010, which it remains to this day.

Just think. Only 40 more years to go before he matches Wally Crouter's record. Since he's in his 50s now, that would put him in his early 90s if he managed it!

October 11, 2019 8:43 am  #2

Re: John Moore Celebrates 10 Years As CFRB Morning Man

Actually, we all seem to forget that the name "Newstalk 1010" came much earlier, but what changed in 2009 was dropping the call letters.  Now I wonder is when the "Newstalk 1010" moniker was put in place?  I know it was being used when John Moore arrived on the drive home in 2003.  Does anyone remember?  Was it there during the final Oakley years?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

October 11, 2019 7:25 pm  #3

Does anybody remember Randy Taylor doing afternoon drive?

October 12, 2019 11:40 am  #4

Jody Thornton wrote:

Actually, we all seem to forget that the name "Newstalk 1010" came much earlier, but what changed in 2009 was dropping the call letters.  Now I wonder is when the "Newstalk 1010" moniker was put in place?  I know it was being used when John Moore arrived on the drive home in 2003.  Does anyone remember?  Was it there during the final Oakley years?

How far back are we talking here? Remember the short lived "The Source...CFRB 1010..."

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 12, 2019 11:55 am  #5

I "think" it was sometime in 2003.  I remember when John Moore started in September 2003 (at least that's when I started listening to him) - they were already saying "Newstalk 1010 - CFRB"

Last edited by Jody Thornton (October 12, 2019 12:44 pm)

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

October 12, 2019 3:35 pm  #6

Just did a search of the Canadian Newsstream database on the Toronto Public Library website, and the earliest use that I found there of "Newstalk 1010" was in a news release from Oct. 10, 2002.

October 12, 2019 6:01 pm  #7

Lorne wrote:

Just did a search of the Canadian Newsstream database on the Toronto Public Library website, and the earliest use that I found there of "Newstalk 1010" was in a news release from Oct. 10, 2002.

That probably answers the question close enough.  Good sleuthing Lorne 

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

October 15, 2019 12:09 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

With so little fuss, that he only mentioned it once - and even then a few days later - John Moore noted on CFRB this week that he celebrated 10 years as the morning man at the station. He started the early shift on Oct. 5, 2009 following several years doing afternoon drive. (Remember the "Cocktail Hour?") He replaced Bill Carroll, who went to the time slot now occupied by Jerry Agar.

Moore took over in the AM just as the station rebranded itself as NewsTalk 1010, which it remains to this day.

Just think. Only 40 more years to go before he matches Wally Crouter's record. Since he's in his 50s now, that would put him in his early 90s if he managed it!

So that marks exactly ten years since I discovered John Oakley on AM 640.

I went to a Farewell Bill Carroll event organized by the Bill Carroll Facebook fan page at Scallywags across from the studio after his last show. I remember telling Bill I wish it was John Moore going to LA and being amused by his response.

All these years later, I am reluctantly back with Moore in the Morning, having tried and tired of everything and everyone AM640 has thrown at the morning slot since Oakley moved to the afternoon.

October 15, 2019 1:13 pm  #9

I highly doubt that Carroll would still be on the air Ten Years After. 

October 15, 2019 1:32 pm  #10

potentiometer wrote:

I highly doubt that Carroll would still be on the air Ten Years After

Now there was a band.........

October 15, 2019 7:29 pm  #11

Nice to see John Oakley mentioned in this thread. Oakley to me pound for pound is one of the best in talk radio anywhere.

A wordsmith, always funny, respectful but never pandering to listeners or guests, not overly judgemental or argumentative to those with a differing opinion, open minded, fascinated with the "human condition" and of course, everyday is a great day for talk radio, with topics worthy of discussion.  Beautiful.

His time in the morning on AM 640 to me was great, fun, entertaining and informative radio. I laughed more listening to Oakley and his regulars than any other morning show ever before.  It never really caught on which is a shame, but overall I hear him more and for longer periods in the afternoon.

I am not a big fan of the "frat boys" on on RB in the afternoon, and I guess they serve whatever purpose they are supposed to. But to me Oakley and his guests and panelists are much more entertaining, fun,adult and usually worth listening to. As I mentioned Oakley respects his callers and guests, never cuts them off for their opinions and comes across that he, and they, are no better or less than anyone else.

Randy Taylor I do remember from evenings on CFRB. He was sort of their right wing guy before Jerry Agar. Didn't really like him, he had a temper and wouldn't let people talk, a bit like Jerry!

I remember once a teenager called in about whatever the topic was, the kid was respectful, sounded a little nervous but you could tell he had thought out what he wanted to say.  His opinion was the opposite of Taylor and all I remember was how poorly the caller was treated. Taylor shouted the kid down, tried to make him look foolish and after the call was over, he had the nerve to tell the young man to lose the attitude. The only one with the attitude was the clown behind the microphone. 

Taylor had his moments but was too hot headed for my taste and tried to make callers and even guests look bad when they had a different opinion than him, especially social issues or politics.  He even had a boxing match bell that would ring if he felt he won a heated discussion with a listener, but often it just ended with him cutting people off or shouting over them.

Last edited by paterson1 (October 15, 2019 8:09 pm)