sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 27, 2019 8:36 am  #1

Howard Berger Slams Rogers In Devastating Blog Over Changes At The Fan

Former Fan hockey reporter Howard Berger has laid into Rogers and its management team in a devastating blog post about the changes at the all-sports station. Yes, he has an axe to grind - he was one of far too many let go by the company, a scenario he blames on both management greed and what he says those at the station call "that onerous NHL contract." 

"I...wish they worked for a company that cared more about the proper balance of entertainment, information and credibility than merely — and solely — the bottom line. As I’ve written in previous blogs...decisions have been all about money. And, nothing else."

"...I remember when Ted Rogers died in 2008 and the financial wizards marched in (led by Paul Ski) to skim the product and add to their bank accounts with “performance” bonuses for ruining careers."

Read the blog here. 

September 28, 2019 11:55 pm  #2

Re: Howard Berger Slams Rogers In Devastating Blog Over Changes At The Fan

Anyone who turf's Bob McCown is a weenie.  Similar decisions also cut into Sports Net's credibility.  That they were stupid enough to WAY overpay for hockey illustrates how 'dinkish' their decision makers were/are.  But I discovered 35 years ago when it comes to upper management in radio/TV that for every good one - there are usually 2 or 3 real turds who just float to the top.  They're totally unaware of how to find, let alone sustain, real entertainment value.  Monkey see and monkey do run rampant and 'dumb' is too often the loudest voice at the decidin' table.  The days of hiring CFL football players to suit up in the NHL in November ended with Gerry James.  Hopefully the days of hiring pencil pushers to make programming decisions for radio and TV stations will follow suit.  Otherwise?  Everybody loses.  (especially the audience)

Save a million dollars today?  Lose 3 million, as a result, tomorrow and again next year and the year after that.  All this because a group of stupid weenies decided to pay about 60-65% more than they should have to provide a limited amount of weekly hockey sometimes doubling up with the game(s), IN ENGLISH, on 2 different channels.  What?  Even I know that THAT is entirely a doltish idea..

Why do mega-talented, intelligent, unique assets have to pay with their professional lives because Dopey was given the keys to the vault?  A tip to non broadcast ownership.  Don't hire house painters to create your masterpiece.  Hire proven artists - artists with a heart.  No heart?  No passion.  No passion.  No art.

It's a business is it?  Coulda fooled everybody.

Last edited by Lee Marshall (September 29, 2019 12:00 am)