sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 19, 2019 6:48 pm  #31

Re: Photo from 2001 shows Justin Trudeau in Brownface

Trudeau's finished, but what I'm interested in is the machinery of the scoop. Were the facilitators internal or external?

September 19, 2019 6:48 pm  #32

It's hard to ban comments on this topic, since it could well be the story of the year - and the media and the way it's being covered is certainly part of it. I trust it will run its course here soon. 

To that end, I noticed that when NBC Nightly News aired this story on Thursday, they blurred out the faces of the women in that now infamous photo. First time I've seen that. 

September 19, 2019 7:10 pm  #33

Fox News had the faces blurred on their website last night and this morning. Interesting that they carried about 20 minutes of news conference this afternoon live. During the french speaking parts they brought in  commentators, J.D. Roberts was one of the commentators. Over on CNN Paula Newton has been reporting on this story. Can't recall if she was with CTV or CBC before moving to CNN years ago. I believe they have her based in Ottawa much of the time.

September 19, 2019 8:11 pm  #34

g121 wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

The Big Red Tent is now the Big White Tent, with eyeholes.

The good news for Trudeau is that it will help with the racist vote, and those who think groping women is a good thing.

Absolute rubbish comment.

Maybe this forum should be one of the few Politics-Free zones as I'd like to keep liking & respecting you guys.

Thought I'd add a humour to the place.

Truth be told, I don't like any of the parties or their leaders. I will probably vote for who I think is the best local candidate.

Agree that we should keep politics out of Big Yella, but this is a pretty big story. Maybe go Politics-Free after this story dies down.

I hope Mr. Marshall comes back.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 19, 2019 10:40 pm  #35

I may be posting here twice so please forgive me...

Like Dale and others I hope Mr. Marshall comes back, but that is his decision alone. I am fairly new to the site so take my comments as you wish.

Unless politics or related topics have been consistently taking over the forum, I don't see that the site should be politics free. If this has been an ongoing issue and comments too often straying far away from media then I guess yeah, especially if comments are getting mean, and overly personal. We are all adults and should be able to deal with these situations.

As RA pointed out, this is a big story that everyone is covering, so it is hard to ignore and also hard to take the politics out of it. It is always good to try and check bias and emotion at the door and deal with the facts honestly. This story will not last forever, this time next week will be very different than today.

Stories like this should not be an opportunity to give as good as you get, to gloat or to bring up past grievances of a person, party, media outlet just because you don't like them, or their point of view. Another point of view is just that, nothing more.  Doesn't mean that they are right and you are wrong or vice versa. This applies equally to those left or right of the political spectrum.

Sounds hokey, but I have great faith in the people, who will make whatever decision they will make on October 21st. Those that are too lazy or angry to get reasonably informed, vote or have a defeatist attitude, this is your choice, but don't expect many others to agree with you. 

Campaigns and politics should be fun as well as serious. Don't sweat the small stuff...(you know the rest).

September 19, 2019 11:37 pm  #36

The New York Radio Board allows political discussion, but only in the context of how radio and TV are covering a political event or story. That might be a future guideline for this forum.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 19, 2019 11:52 pm  #37

Thank you paterson1 & Dale Patterson for your reasoned, calm, non-biased responses.

I'm just so disgusted with the toxic political mess that's evolved south of the border that I so want us here in Canada to remain civil, factual & without biased vitriol regardless of our political leanings.

September 20, 2019 8:37 am  #38

Dale Patterson wrote:

g121 wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

The Big Red Tent is now the Big White Tent, with eyeholes.

The good news for Trudeau is that it will help with the racist vote, and those who think groping women is a good thing.

Absolute rubbish comment.

Maybe this forum should be one of the few Politics-Free zones as I'd like to keep liking & respecting you guys.

Thought I'd add a humour to the place. 

That's why god created smileys, Dale, so people will know you weren't entirely serious.