sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2019 11:39 am  #1

NBC Unveils New Streaming Service - But Cdns.Can't Subscribe

Canada can already get a mostly complete version of Netflix and with the exception of a few shows like "Star Trek," can also subscribe to CBS All-Access - although I've yet to meet a single person who's forked out the money for the latter. 

Not to be left out, NBCUniversal has unveiled the name of its new streaming service and the shows viewers can see on it. But whether we'll be in that mix across the border, like the new programming, remains to be seen.

The service will be called "Peacock" after the network's longtime logo and boasts a lot of remakes, including "Battlestar Galactica" (from "Mr. Robot" creator Sam Esmail) a new version of "Saved By The Bell" and what appears to be a completely unnecessary remake of the execrable "Punky Brewster," which - in SCTV "Oh That Rusty" fashion - will star the original now grown-up kid, Soleil Moon-Frye. This I can't wait NOT to see, especially considering it wasn't much of a hit in its first incarnation. 

There will be lots of originals too and the usual NBC reruns like "Cheers" and "Frasier." You can see the full list here.

How much it will cost a month and whether Canadians will be included - or if Bell's Crave will buy up most of the rights to the good stuff - is an unanswered question. The other - will Canadians consider the programming good enough to even want to pay for it given all the current streaming choices? We'll know when the service launches sometime in April 2020.

NBCUniversal Names Its Upcoming Streaming Service, Sets April 2020 Launch

September 17, 2019 12:35 pm  #2

Re: NBC Unveils New Streaming Service - But Cdns.Can't Subscribe

Well, it appears we have an answer. A rep from NBC was nice enough to respond to an email I sent her, and the answer is - no, we won't have the service in Canada. At least not at launch.

"Peacock will have a U.S. roll-out starting in April 2020," writes NBCU spokesperson Lauren Skowronski. "We will launch in international markets down the road." 

Of course, by the end of "down the road," they may already have sold a lot of the rights to Crave or some other over-the-air entity, like Rogers' City TV. And that will make it less attractive to would-be subscribers here.

So it looks like this Peacock won't be spreading its wings here anytime soon. 

September 17, 2019 12:49 pm  #3

grilled.cheese wrote:

$3 / month VPN takes care of my US consumption needs. 

But haven't many of these big providers devised methods to detect and defeat those VPNs? I heard that Netflix figured out a way to stop Canadians from accessing their American-based service over rights issues.

True? False?

By the way, which VPN service only charges $3 a month? Most I've seen have been a lot higher than that.  

September 17, 2019 1:05 pm  #4

With all these streaming services coming and planned, a lot of them likely won't be that successful. People only have so much time for viewing and are only willing to spend so much money. Also many programs like Seinfeld are readily available OTA.  The big announcement by Netflix for the global steaming rights for Seinfeld is great, I guess it means it will only be on Crave one more year and a bit.

Down the road I bet a lot of these steaming services will amalgamate or be sold in bundles to keep the costs in line for the consumer.

September 17, 2019 1:13 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

Down the road I bet a lot of these steaming services will amalgamate or be sold in bundles to keep the costs in line for the consumer.

Kind of the model cable uses today. And we know how well that's turned out!

September 17, 2019 3:23 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Kind of the model cable uses today. And we know how well that's turned out!

well, bell's CRAVE does have an HBO+STARZ add-on bundle for $10/mo.

But yes, ultimately, consumers will grow weary of the fragmentation and return to good ol' torrents or popcorn time to stream illegally. 

September 17, 2019 4:52 pm  #7

I've used Nordvpn for years.. works like a charm, except AMazon.. that's a tough one 

Last edited by pinto (September 17, 2019 4:53 pm)