sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 15, 2019 1:27 pm  #1

Paying $250+ a year to listen to satellite radio? Are you Sirius?

This is from a U.S. newspaper, but some subscribers may find the info useful. 

Paying more than $250 a year to listen to satellite radio? Are you Sirius?

September 15, 2019 8:58 pm  #2

Re: Paying $250+ a year to listen to satellite radio? Are you Sirius?

I am probably going to pull the plug on Sirius in November when it comes up for a 6 mo. renewal. Not necessarily because of the cost so much, but rather I am not listening nearly as much as I did three years ago. But if I can get it for 6 or 8 bucks a month well then what the heck.

Sirius is great if you are on a long highway road trip, and don't want to fiddle with the radio as stations fade in and out. Although when I am driving through a new city, I usually hit the scanner to tune in some local radio for a while. Always interesting to hear what other radio markets are doing. When at home, overall I still prefer local off air radio. In the car local radio tends to have a richer fuller sound than satellite. 

In February Sirius purchased Pandora and this greatly increased their selection  and they have been pushing all the new stations since the spring. Wondering if all of the free radio apps have been eating into their subscriptions?

My favourites for music continues to be 60's on 6 through to first wave. However all of the stations that I listen to are fairly repetitive musically, They all tend to overplay certain artists and songs in my opinion, and a few of the MTV VJ hosts sound like they don't do much show prep.

It's great to have a huge choice, but you only have so much time and can only listen to one station at any given time.  

September 16, 2019 10:16 am  #3

Re: Paying $250+ a year to listen to satellite radio? Are you Sirius?

The sound quality is subpar.  Its worse than a clear FM signal to be honest.