sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 11, 2019 4:01 pm  #1

Confirm Or Deny: Did CityPulse Really Hire A Guy Who Killed His Wife?

The thread about Florida Man Radio (which hired an afternoon host convicted of firing a gun at his wife) brought to mind an old story I’ve heard many times but have never been able to confirm. It was told to me by several people who worked for the old CityPulse, back when City’s news went by that name.

In essence it says that CityPulse had a guy on staff in the late 70s or early 80s who had recently gotten out of jail after being convicted of killing his wife. His first name was apparently “Gene,” but I won’t use his surname just in case he’s still around and he’s not actually guilty of anything.

I’d be curious to know if it’s true, what he did there (he was definitely not on air) and how he got the job. Anyone know?

September 11, 2019 8:30 pm  #2

Re: Confirm Or Deny: Did CityPulse Really Hire A Guy Who Killed His Wife?

An old friend who worked at City at the time wrote me about this rumour and yes, it’s apparently true.

Seems the guy in question discovered his wife was cheating on him and in a fit of rage, he killed her. He served time for manslaughter and when he got out, became part of a program City TV co-founder Phyllis Switzer was running to give cons a second chance. And that’s how he wound up in the CityPulse newsroom, although I can only wonder what the women working there at the time felt about that.

My source, who I know and trust, also says there was a guy in master control that may have also spent some time in the joint. Not sure what he did.

It was a good cause, I suppose and to my knowledge, small as it is, neither ever re-offended. But it really happened. 

September 11, 2019 9:27 pm  #3

Could there be a statistically significant number of broadcast professionals that are 'known to police'? Find out...after this...

September 12, 2019 11:02 am  #4

Some people claimed there was a woman to blame
But I know
It was his own damn fault

September 12, 2019 10:54 pm  #5

Ok RA,
Your sources are right on!   CityPulse did have a "Gene" on staff, he did work in the newsroom as kind of a "go-fer" doing odd jobs.   I once witnessed him answering the phones in the newsroom one day and he certainly handled the caller well with the complaint.  I did hear through the grapevine that he had a brush with the law, and by the way one of the gentlest persons you'd ever meet.  You wouldn't think he was even capable of such a heinous act.     As I remember, he was given the job of editing stock, that frustrated him to no end, so he quit.   I've always thought in the usual CityPulse style, he was assigned the stock shift so he would quit, today he could have sued them for constructive dismissal.  This was long before Lorne could act on his behalf.