sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 11, 2019 9:52 am  #1

This Weekend’s Detroit Radio Reunion Boasts Amazing Line-up

It’s billed as “The Last Great Detroit Radio Reunion,” and it takes place this weekend in nearby Novi, Michigan this coming Saturday. And it boasts some legendary names from CKLW, WKNR and WXYZ, along with many others.

Among them: Super Max Kinkle, Pat St. John, Tom Shannon, Jim Kerr, Joey Reynolds, Gary Burbank, Duke Windsor, Charlie O'Brien, Big Jim Edwards, Jim “JJ” Johnson, Jo-Jo Shutty-MacGregor and even 94-year-old Robin Seymour, who hosted an influential American Bandstand-like show out of CKLW-TV’s channel 9 in the 60s.

And that’s just a partial list, that also includes John Records Landecker, Shotgun Tom Kelly and Phlash Phelps from Sirius XM’s 60’s on 6, and even current WKBW-TV anchor (and former CKLW newsguy) Keith Radford. The full list of names and events can be found here.

One big difference with this event is that it’s not just for the old radio guys. Fans can attend the event, meet their old idols and hear the stories that are normally reserved for those who were there.

I’m not sure if they’re calling it “the last” because many of those involved are getting older, they’re simply not going to hold any more or if it’s just part of the hype. But either way, it promises to be a radio nostalgia fest like no other.

The Last Great Detroit Radio Reunion Promises Big Names 

Extensive info on the official event site here

September 12, 2019 10:04 am  #2

Re: This Weekend’s Detroit Radio Reunion Boasts Amazing Line-up

Speaking of Keith Radford, boy that's some schedule he's worked out. It looks like he could be at Channel 7 longer than Irv Weinstein - only without the ratings. 

WKBW anchor Keith Radford expects to get new deal 

September 15, 2019 4:44 pm  #3

I was there and got some pics that I will post. Max Kinkle attended, and told the story of having his flight canceled in either New York City or Buffalo (I forget which one) early Saturday morning, and someone associated with the Wounded Warrior Project finding him a seat on another plane to Detroit. That's how much he wanted to be there. He was in Vietnam -- I didn't know that -- in the US Navy from 1967-68, and told me he's writing a book on his war experiences. He walks with a cane now but still sounds like Supermax, hi.

September 15, 2019 4:57 pm  #4

Wow, I'm glad someone who frequents the board went.

Looking forward to seeing your photos if and when you get the chance, 

September 20, 2019 3:42 pm  #5

Me with Robin Seymour at his vendor's table, for his memoir "The DJ That Launched 1000 Hits." Hob-nobbin with the Robin, I don't collect pics of myself with celebrities, and my plan for the day was to observe and listen, and not be intrusive. This plan was quickly scrapped --

Colleen Burcar, who was the traffic reporter on CKLW AM-800 during its Music Of Your Life days in the early 90s, and on FM 93.9 thru all its format changes, and who seemed genuinely pleased that someone remembered her --

Jim Edwards --

With JoJo --

W
With Bill Hennes, who loved being reminded that he was "Wild Willie" on WTAC in Flint in the 60s. He asked me to sit with him in the front row occupied by the CKLW alumni. I did, and should have waited there until the empty seat's owner returned. When in Rome ... and I didn't wand to be gauche --

With Max Kinkel, who was familiar with DXing and who knew what a QSL card is. He was on CKLW from 9 to midnight, heard from lots of places, and remembered Philadelphia as one with a contingent of Big 8 listeners --

With Pat St. John, who looks great. I told him the story of driving up Broadway in my El Camino and hearing him play a Bob Seger song, and that I felt like I was back home --

Fred Jacobs, the Detroit-based consultant who created the classic rock format, was with Jim Edwards, standing off to one side and looking forgotten. I saw his name tag and said "I know you -- you're famous!"

With Jerry Goodwin from WKNR AM and FM, and Jim Kerr from WPLJ and WAXQ New York --

Paul Cannon, the production director at WKNR, who told us about editing songs, that he shortened "Satisfaction" (where?) and cut "Christ" out of "The Ballad Of John And Yoko" --

BonBob

Bob Green from WKNR. I'm one person away from the Beatles (he met them at the airport when they came to Detroit in 1964, and MCed the show at the Olympia --

J

Charlie O'Brien -- the last local voice on CKWW -- and Tom DeAngelis ("Johnny Williams" on CKLW) were there but I didn't get pics. Joey Reynolds MCed the Reunion and was always doing something, so no pics of him. I know John Landecker was there. Joey Reynolds introduced him, and he spoke for a few minutes. I watched him (wanted to task him if he'd been a Jones Boy on WTRX in Flint, as I've heard). When the opportunity presented himself, I cautiously approached him, noticed he wasn't wearing a name tag of circulating, and asked him "are you John Landecker?" He said no, sorry, I'm one of Lee Alan's guys, I'm (somebody). I Google searched him the next morning and the pics indicate it was him. Whatever ... everyone else was nice and accommodating, and there might be another Reunion next year even though this one was billed as the last one. The word was that the promoters wanted to have it in 2020 to tie-in with the 100th anniversary of radio broadcasting in North America, but had it now while Robin Seymour (he's 93) could still travel. The last thing I said to Lee Alan, after getting a pic w him, was "see you next year."

I drove home -- it was getting dark -- with the radio on as usual (baseball), the drive from Novi to Port Huron takes almost three hours on back roads, and I kept thinking: WHAT a day. That feeling lasted all thru Sunday. I almost didn't go. I'm not a radio superfan, didn't want to be a pest, and in fact introduced myself to more than one legend with "I'm not a geek, I just love radio ... " Meeting and  taking pics w celebrities isn't my thing either. I'm 100 pct thoroughly thankful I did this  ;         ;)

September 20, 2019 3:48 pm  #6

Thanks for the pics, Tom. I'm sure many old Motor City types that congregate here appreciate seeing them.

Everybody in them is young. It's the camera that got old!   

September 20, 2019 5:49 pm  #7

The coda pic -- this is a spontaneous gathering, at the front of the room, of CKLW alumni. From left to right: JoJo, Bill Hennes, Charlie O'Brien, Jim Edwards, Pat St. John, Max Kinkle. If my memory is correct, Joey Reynolds, mostly obscured, is on Max's right.

Shotgun Tom Kelly was there -- didn't get a pic with him, but it wasn't until the next day that I realized I could have been introducing myself as "Shotgun Tom Sanders IN the night time," hi (speaking of missed opportunities).

Tom Shannon had family issues that prevented him from attending. Rosalie Trombley and Herb McCord have health issues that prevent them from traveling.

And into Sunday I still ended up wishing that Byron MacGregor could have been there, to talk about the days when the Big 8's news director was a recording artist with a record in the top ten. Of the CKLW alums who've passed, his name  was mentioned the most times. Each time it was, I'd think: the US dollar took another pounding on world markets .....

Last edited by TomSanders (September 20, 2019 9:23 pm)

September 21, 2019 8:23 am  #8

I worked with some of those guys and several more from The Big 8.  Talented.  Incestuous business.  Only 1 'dink' in the bunch.

September 21, 2019 10:53 am  #9

So glad you attended and took the time to post your photos. Thanks so much for sharing.

I listened to many of these folks on the Big 8.

April 17, 2020 7:05 pm  #10

TomSanders wrote:

Me with Robin Seymour at his vendor's table, for his memoir "The DJ That Launched 1000 Hits." Hob-nobbin with the Robin, I don't collect pics of myself with celebrities, and my plan for the day was to observe and listen, and not be intrusive. This plan was quickly scrapped --

Tom - you were lucky to have had this opportunity. I'm sorry to share this news with you.

Detroit radio, TV personality Robin Seymour dies at 94

April 18, 2020 6:19 pm  #11

Meeting Robin remains the highlight of this day. He was generous with his time and compliments, and his memory was sharp. I'm glad I attended. I almost didn't go. Credit also goes to the Reunion planners for having the event in 2019 while Robin could travel, and not in 2020 for the 100th anniversary of radio.