sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2019 7:39 pm  #1

Why Classic Hits Stations Aren't Playing Vintage Motown Songs Anymore

Ask almost anyone and they'll tell you - Motown turned out some of the greatest hits of all time, with a sound that's never been duplicated. Yet according to the linked article, if you're listening to the kinds of stations you'd expect to still play that music, you may find it missing. 

Veteran radio researcher Sean Ross looked at the playlists from dozens of stations (even including CKDO Oshawa and The Grand FM in Hamilton) and found the beat is not going on as often for the classic artists from Hitsville U.S.A.

At Radio, A Very Partial Motown Story

September 10, 2019 7:54 pm  #2

Re: Why Classic Hits Stations Aren't Playing Vintage Motown Songs Anymore

TL;DR: Motown is almost exclusively centred in the 60s - a decade disappearing from Classic Hits out of demographic necessity. 

September 10, 2019 10:23 pm  #3

RadioAaron wrote:

TL;DR: Motown is almost exclusively centred in the 60s - a decade disappearing from Classic Hits out of demographic necessity. 

Demographic necessity eh?

Then I guess it's just about time to go get fitted for a pine box...

September 10, 2019 10:46 pm  #4

unclefester wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Demographic necessity eh?

Then I guess it's just about time to go get fitted for a pine box...

When was the last time a commercial caused you to try a completely new product or switch brands?  After a certain age your preferences are locked in.  That makes an older audience less desirable to advertisers.  

September 11, 2019 12:37 am  #5

Prod Guy wrote:

When was the last time a commercial caused you to try a completely new product or switch brands?  After a certain age your preferences are locked in.  That makes an older audience less desirable to advertisers.  

I fail to agree. I think it's the JIVE phone that targets seniors and anyone who feels the need to have large buttons on their smart phone...to name one example.

Anyone who thinks it can't be done just isn't trying hard enough. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.