sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2019 10:25 am  #1

Probably The Most Ridiculous Radio Ever Made

It's called the "Pour Reception" and that doesn't refer to how well you can DX on it. Instead this thing has no volume control, no dial and no way to tune it - except one. It involves putting several glasses of water on top of the unit to make it work and adjust it. From the website:

"Instead of operating with dials and buttons, as one would do with a traditional radio, Pour Reception is operated by interacting with the glasses. Changing channel is achieved by pouring water from one glass to the other.

"Fine-tuning the channel, to filter off distortion and noise, is done by touching and grabbing a glass containing water. Finally, touching the water in the glass lets the user affects the volume of the radio."

I'll admit I've never quite seen anything like it but what a pain in the ass to operate. The video is worth a watch, just to see how incredibly silly it is, but also to admittedly marvel at the technology that created it. (I just hope it's waterproof!)

It comes from some university kids in Sweden, and I doubt anyone expects it to be anything beyond an experiment. But these days, you never know. 

The Pour Reception Radio

September 9, 2019 3:08 pm  #2

Re: Probably The Most Ridiculous Radio Ever Made

Takes "glass half full" quotes to new heights.

September 9, 2019 4:13 pm  #3

Hmm, I wonder what you could listen to on this thing. How about "Dirty Water" by the Standells or "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel? "Black Water" by the Doobie Brothers? And maybe something by Ocean for Cancon...

September 9, 2019 5:56 pm  #4

And the hits just keep on coming!

Long Tall Glasses by Leo Sayer
Judy In Disguise With Glasses.

September 9, 2019 6:12 pm  #5

" hey Google, play something by Looking Glass."

Or if  you need can con, how about anything by Glass Tiger.

September 9, 2019 7:23 pm  #6

If you want to get a little high, how about  "Smoke on the Water"

September 10, 2019 1:59 am  #7

"There Stands The Glass" by Webb Pierce (fill it and make the radio play, hi).

September 10, 2019 6:29 am  #8

and when the radio won't play it's Pete Townsend's Empty Glass and if the walrus was Paul it's Glass Onion.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

September 10, 2019 8:30 am  #9

Or, if you'll allow a change in spelling, you could hear Johnny Rivers doing "Pour" Side Of Town.