sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 1, 2019 5:33 am  #1

TSN Celebrates 35 years on air

When TSN went to air it was huge for Canada, they arrived, sports TV in Canada was a big deal...

Back then the sports biz was heating up and eventually in the early 90's the Jays won 2 World Series, the Great One, John Candy and Bruce McNall owned the Argo's and filled Skydome (Back then)...

Here is a video montage of TSN's 35 years it brings back some memories, some great broadcasters, sports personality and oh ya the black jackets with the gold logo...

Sports broadcasting has reached a zenith and it has challenges to build an audience now too...but here is to another 35 years and the stories that will be told.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/tsn-celebrates-35-years-of-iconic-sports-moments~1768083

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (September 1, 2019 5:33 am)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

September 1, 2019 12:32 pm  #2

Re: TSN Celebrates 35 years on air

Speaking of anniversaries, it's also been 35 years since MuchMusic was launched. 

MuchMusic at 35: The Revolution will be televised

September 1, 2019 9:25 pm  #3

Great montage for TSN 35th anniversary. Even though TSN doesn't have the big NHL coverage, overall they are my preferred sports channel. Better commentators overall. Really hard to know what is happening with Sportsnet of  late,, cutbacks and cleaning house..never a good mix.

I remember MuchMusic was a bit of a disappointment when they went on air 35 years ago. They looked like they really weren't ready for the launch and came across more like a cable operation. 

In fairness when they moved down the street to 299 Queen St West with larger studios and just more room things got a lot better. MuchMusic really balanced the music on the station well, they were mainstream and alternative at the same time. Not an easy thing to do. And they introduced a lot of great new Canadian bands and artists. Certainly this influenced radio, and MM was breaking the new artists and songs. For about 15-20 years they truly were "The Nations Music Station."

MuchMusic certainly had a big impact on contemporary radio across Canada, and set the trends musically and even fashion wise for young people.  Almost overnight kids in small town Saskatchewan were as up to date musically and attitude wise as kids in Vancouver or Toronto. All because of the videos and trends on MuchMusic.

Interesting to note that MusiquePlus which for many years was the french version of MM with a similar style and storefront studio set up, went off the air last Monday August 26th. Similar to MM the station was down to mostly reality shows, old sitcoms and very little in the way of music videos. The MusiquePlus has been replaced with a station which will appeal to a younger French Canadian female audience.

Happy 35th to TSN and MuchMusic, or "Much".

September 1, 2019 9:57 pm  #4

Congrats to both.  These were 'pay" services when they first launched.  You needed a descrambler for the first few years, until they were allowed to be specialty channels.  
I had pay TV from the beginning and my basement was full when the Jays clinched their first play-off spot.  And I remember the CRTC allowing Much to be unscrambled for all to watch 'Live Aid."
Early VJs?  I remember JD Roberts, Chris Ward, Michael Williams, Erica Ehm and Jeannie Beker.  (sp?)
Remember the Pepsi Power Hour??

September 2, 2019 12:42 am  #5

Ale Ont wrote:

Congrats to both.  These were 'pay" services when they first launched.  You needed a descrambler for the first few years, until they were allowed to be specialty channels.  
I had pay TV from the beginning and my basement was full when the Jays clinched their first play-off spot.  And I remember the CRTC allowing Much to be unscrambled for all to watch 'Live Aid."
Early VJs?  I remember JD Roberts, Chris Ward, Michael Williams, Erica Ehm and Jeannie Beker.  (sp?)
Remember the Pepsi Power Hour??

The ultimate irony about MM being scrambled was that the audio was still clear.  i recorded many a spotlight and live concert just so i could have the music. 

I was a devotee of the pepsi power hour, still have old vhs copies somewhere!  they lost some cred when other vj's started hosting... erica ehm???  don't recall who the original host was. 

aah good times.  nothing is like it once was.....