sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 24, 2019 8:53 am  #1

Grace Slick and Grateful Dead Interview 1967 - What is the Source ?

More from that great set of tapes I have been going through where the person who recorded had a wide taste in music and media in general. The one where the CKFH/CHUM audio I recently uploaded came from.

This time I have put up an interview with the prime San Francisco movers and shakers ( Jefferson Airplane and Grateful Dead) from 1967 on You Tube. This sounds like a TV interview as the interviewer makes a remark that he wants to the country to see Grace Slick. Was recorded in Toronto during and appearance by the two groups at the O Keefe Centre. ( They played multiple shows).

Anyone have an idea as to where this audio was taken from ?
PS I hope the You Tube censors leave this alone as this type of rare audio is perfect for the format.

Last edited by Fitz (August 24, 2019 9:17 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

August 24, 2019 9:35 am  #2

Re: Grace Slick and Grateful Dead Interview 1967 - What is the Source ?

Not sure where this is from; but that was the year that Luke & The Apostles opened for The Dead & The Airplane at The O'Keefe Center.  What a show!

August 24, 2019 9:38 am  #3

John D wrote:

Not sure where this is from; but that was the year that Luke & The Apostles opened for The Dead & The Airplane at The O'Keefe Center.  What a show!

I believe this was the same show John as I found a review online from a Buffalo university paper and they mention Luke & The Apostles but does anyone recognize the voice of the interviewer ?

Cool Airchecks and More:

August 24, 2019 3:18 pm  #4

The good, the bad and the ugly about the O'Keefe shows is captured on this blog
Dead Sources

There is a quote from Rock Scully , the GD manager, but the thing is the Dead were interviewed and this might be the CBC show:

Rock Scully also had a brief, fairly accurate account of the trip to Canada in Living With the Dead (p.113-14). 
"We aren’t all that well attended in Toronto. The first couple of nights are sold out, but after that the hall is barely half full. Bill Graham has been perhaps a wee bit optimistic." [Billboard said they were "a slightly better than 50 percent draw."]
After playing free shows in Montreal, "the Airplane, stars that they are, head down to do a Canadian Broadcasting System [CBC] show. We are cordially not invited along." [Confirming Billboard's account that the Airplane taped the TV show immediately after Montreal.]

Last edited by Fitz (August 24, 2019 3:51 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

August 24, 2019 4:18 pm  #5

I thought it might be "The O'Keefe Centre Presents: The Rock Scene - Like It Is! (1967)" too, like the article mentions, but its host was "Noel Harrison" and it didn't sound like the same voice. I suppose he could have been the overall host throwing to different interview segment staff. I also found an October 17, 1967 column from The Ottawa Citizen reviewing that show and mentioning Grace Slick. Could it be possible another media outlet in town grabbed that interview while they were up there on a mini press junket anyway?

Last edited by AspectRatio (August 24, 2019 4:19 pm)

August 24, 2019 6:28 pm  #6

Thank you AspectRatio for that article. The Rock Scene is perhaps the leading candidate but Noel Harrison threw me off too. Also the GD are not mentioned in the article you posted. There are perhaps 9 references to TV on the Blog post I linked but none quite match.

The article you posted mentions Eric Anderson and I think the same set of tapes that I took this show from has some live Eric Anderson. I have to review if it is the same tape because I don't remember.

Last edited by Fitz (August 24, 2019 6:33 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

August 24, 2019 10:29 pm  #7

Well hopefully I will discover the name of that interviewer. Some period piece counter culture talk for sure but Bill Graham sounds quite astute.

Anyway the Buffalo concert reviews reminded me about my favorite concert experience in Buffalo. I won tickets to see the Grateful Dead from CFNY in 1981 including the bus fare ( Yes there was a time that CFNY would give away tickets to the Dead and they were the only local station I listened to at the time).

Aside from the concert these are my recollections.

The long time it took at customs to cross the border. Some people were really given the full freak check-up

The group played the Memorial Aud and the parking lot was a real Dead Head scene.

During the concert one person was so out of it that they fell one full balcony level. A long and hard fall.

Coming back in the bus almost everyone had passed out.

I still have the bus form:

Cool Airchecks and More:

August 27, 2019 7:45 am  #8

I found the tape that has the  show mentioned in the article posted by AspectRatio above "O'Keefe Presents The Rock Scene."  Includes Eric Anderson,The Doors and Jefferson Airplane and hosted by Noel Harrison. Radio recorded on the tape seems to be mostly from October 1967 and this tape is not the same one where the Aug 1967 Dead/ Airplane recordings come from. Portions of the Rock Scene show are already on You Tube. Apologies for going on about this but it would be nice to know the source. Also I am quite enthralled by this set of tapes featuring some rare TV and Radio.

The young buck who made these recordings did a great job with the radio and it seems they were using Tube equipment which does not neccessarily translate on the MP3's I have uploaded.. Unfortunately they only made a tracklist for one of the tapes and another says simply "French 9" and has a name on it. Quarter track mono recordings on multiple tapes.

Last edited by Fitz (August 27, 2019 8:19 am)

Cool Airchecks and More: