sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 1, 2019 7:46 pm  #1

So ...

Do you remember when, about 3 years ago, some  reporters in the field  and others began answering questions with, "So...:"?

Anchor: What are police saying?
Reporter: So, they're being very tight lipped...

Interviewer: Scientists are almost unanimous that 10 years is all we have to save the planet. Do you agree?
Climate change denier: So,  no.

Do you remember how much that bothered  bothered a lot of us?

Me included.

Have you noticed EVERYBODY begins their answers that way now?

So, no you don't. But they do.

August 1, 2019 8:01 pm  #2

Re: So ...

Former Premier Kathleen Wynne was the worst for this in an interview or a scrum. But I've noticed "Well" more often than "So" these days. Both are irritating. 

And so is the endless wait for a "you're welcome" out of a reporter story or debrief. CTV and CBC are especially guilty of this and I simply can't figure out why they do it. On CTV Toronto's Noon News on Thursday, it was especially painful. A reporter finished her SOT, tagged her story and threw back to the anchor, who dutifully said "Thank You." 

This was followed by what felt like an hour's worth of dead air as the reporter, on satellite and thus already experiencing a delay, stood there waiting for the audio in her ear to catch up, then simply nodded. 

Why do they insist on doing this? I'm pretty sure viewers understand the shorthand that takes place here and thanking the reporter and moving on is all that's needed. I can only wonder how many hours of valuable air time this eats up every year. 

But yet they do this over and over and over. And it's worse when it looks like the director is unsure of whether to wait for a reply or not. Just get on to the next story. Believe me, then the viewers will be the ones to say "thank you."

As for my inadvertantly usurpring your thread, all I can say is "So" sorry!

August 2, 2019 10:32 am  #3

The other one is "Look."

Evan Solomon says it almost every time he starts answering during the Round Table with John Moore every morning.

August 2, 2019 2:26 pm  #4

Evan Solomon may the best that we have in this country (which explains why Bell is working him like a rented mule)  so I can live with a couple of verbal ticks. I just wish he wouldn't let what he calls his "side kick" open her vacuous mouth. She has all the nuance  and charm of an air horn.

August 2, 2019 5:31 pm  #5

Lisa Hepfner from CHCH is guilty of this during every live hit. Normally she starts off with "So yeah..." I see it coming every time and she always delivers. She's a good reporter otherwise.

August 3, 2019 6:30 am  #6

This may be off topic as it doesn't really apply to reporters, but I've got a real pet peeve about a phrase I hear over and over on informational shows where someone is demonstrating how to do something.
Whether it's home DIY, car repair or cooking...

"Now go ahead and ..."

I hear it constantly and it's drives me mad how redundant it is. No need to "go ahead" ... JUST DO IT! (He said fearing a Nike trademark infringement)

The worst culprit must be Bridget Lancaster from America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country. In a seven minute segment she can use "go ahead and ..." up to 7, 8, even 10 times. Plus she'll even throw in various tenses: "go ahead" "gone ahead" "went ahead."

It's a verbal crutch that really gets under my skin.

And don't get me started on broadcasters who can't enunciate words ending in "ing."

I hear buildeen, walkeen, talkeen, fighteen, etc.

It's just sloppy.

Rant over.