sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 28, 2019 11:36 am  #1

Bill King of Jazz FM writes about the new vibe and recent turn around!

Here is a very thoughtful article by Bill King...he of the Beaches Jazz Fest and host of the R and B and Soul show on Tuesday night's on Jazz FM...does a good piece about the new vibe at the station.

I am a listener/member/donor and I have noticed it sounding a lot more upbeat and the vibe has improved since the new board took over. 

Last fall/winter the station sounded sad and hollow even...now there is a renewed feeling of optimism.

Now, I know some of you on the board, aren't big Bill King fans, but I have listened to his R and B show with his son, is fun, lively, and they do it live to air too! In other words, I quite like his weekly show...that and the Gumbo Kitchen with Ronnie Littlejohn are 2 pretty cool new shows that air after 9 pm ...one on Tuesday and the Gumbo Kitchen on Friday night.

Gumbo is a nod to the sweet sounds of the jazz/blues and music from the Bayou...(Louisiana)

Here is the link to the article, enjoy the read...

Enjoy this terrific Sunday too!

https://www.fyimusicnews.ca/articles/2019/06/27/can-jazzfm91-elevate-inspire-and-be-progressive-sound-radio-toronto

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

July 28, 2019 5:32 pm  #2

Re: Bill King of Jazz FM writes about the new vibe and recent turn around!

I wonder if the Staples and Respect Yourself isn't a step too far for the Jazz shows on JAZZ.FM? Thought I had the wrong station the other day. Great track, perhaps a better fit for a Smooth Jazz format?
They ARE sounding better, good flow and looser. Would like to hear a voice in the morning, though.

Edit -- Had wrong title for Staples

Last edited by mike marshall (July 28, 2019 8:28 pm)

July 29, 2019 11:45 am  #3

They are indeed better.  Also less talking (or I just get lucky listening at a good time) 

September 8, 2019 11:02 am  #4

Fans of Jazz FM may find this Broadcast Dialogue podcast with the station's new V.P. of interest. It runs about 20 minutes. 

Lorie Russell on helping Toronto’s jazz.fm get its groove back 

September 8, 2019 8:56 pm  #5

Ms. Russell said their biggest draw is the Big Band Show. Does that tell us that the station's core audience music preferences remain fairly traditional?

September 9, 2019 12:19 pm  #6

mike marshall wrote:

Ms. Russell said their biggest draw is the Big Band Show. Does that tell us that the station's core audience music preferences remain fairly traditional?

Takes me back to running Don Cameron's "Make Believe Ballroom" into the Arthur Fiedler 'Boston Pops" shows on a Sunday night at CKFM.  (Right after 'men of brass' !!)  For a sunday night those shows had awesome audiences.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.