sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2019 4:04 pm  #1

Why Don’t Radio Stations Advertise Themselves More?

I like the column linked below, even though it’s centered on the L.A. area. (Plus you’ve got to love a radio columnist who asks what that station underneath the local one might have been in the hunt for a DX I.D.) The article asks the less than musical question: why don’t radio stations advertise themselves any more, beyond their own airwaves?

He’s talking about things like billboards, newspaper ads, online inserts and more. There are a few exceptions – I see CHUM-FM and Virgin spots on TV a lot up here, with the occasional Kiss 92.5 thrown in. And Boom seems to have taken up residence on bus shelters spelling out its name with lyrics. But the days of billboards and other methods – including online –are all but gone.

Some of the old methods were pretty clever, but my favourite one was an old CKEY billboard back in their rock days that consisted of some flashing lights. It told those driving by to tune to the station for breaking news whenever the lights were going on and off. And it won’t surprise you to know the lights were always flashing!

It’s not really very effective to tell listeners who are already on your station how great you are. You want the ears that aren’t there yet to pay attention. But they may not tune you in if they don’t know you’re out there.

Radio: What happened to all the advertising?

July 23, 2019 6:06 pm  #2

Re: Why Don’t Radio Stations Advertise Themselves More?

Local radio in Toronto is one of the bigger out-of-home advertisers here, especially in the spring and fall ratings periods.

CHUM had a pretty huge campaign when they re-branded last year with custom bus shelter modifications, bus-boards, streetcar wraps, and a takeover at Bloor/Yong station.

CHFI and Kiss have their morning shows on many buses and shelters.

Q107 just ran a pretty big billboard campaign as well as a takeover at Billy Bishop. Edge did a smaller subway campaign when they launched their new morning show.

Even Indie88 has some pretty extensive bus shelter campaigns over the last two books.

Absent the last couple years has been Virgin.

Bell and Rogers have the advantage of being able to get on TV for next to nothing, and I'm sure there's some discount for Bell stations to land on the Astral OOH spaces.

July 23, 2019 6:28 pm  #3

RadioAaron wrote:

You don't notice Toronto's Virgin radio Adam Wilde ads in the subway?
Also
Energy radio went in another direction with the former Virgin radio morning show, turning to instagram for their ads instead of billboard ads due to the content, most likely inappropriate for public display as a billboard ad... 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 23, 2019 8:51 pm  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Also
Energy radio went in another direction with the former Virgin radio morning show, turning to instagram for their ads instead of billboard ads due to the content, most likely inappropriate for public display as a billboard ad... 

I haven't noticed the Adam Wylde ads, to be honest. Though the subway isn't part of my daily commute. Good to see they're promoting that show though.  As for Energy - yes, I've certainly noticed their Instagram ads. I doubt their preference for that medium is because of the content, bur rather that it's relatively dirt cheap.

July 23, 2019 11:36 pm  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Also

I haven't noticed the Adam Wylde ads, to be honest. Though the subway isn't part of my daily commute. Good to see they're promoting that show though.  As for Energy - yes, I've certainly noticed their Instagram ads. I doubt their preference for that medium is because of the content, bur rather that it's relatively dirt cheap.

And their audience lives on Instagram.  That's the biggest reason.

July 24, 2019 2:30 am  #6

RadioAaron wrote:

I doubt their preference for that medium is because of the content, bur rather that it's relatively dirt cheap.

I'm aware Maura is married in real life (to someone else) and has a kid too, and I know Tucker has a family of his own, so, while it may pass as all in good fun on instagram, it might not be the best thing for a billboard ad...(?)

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 24, 2019 2:33 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.