sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2019 10:12 am  #1

Do TV or Radio Stations Ever Answer Their Phones Any More?

<rant>
In the last few days, I’ve had the occasion to call City TV, CTV, Yes TV and one Buffalo affiliate for a project I was working on. What do they all have in common, besides being broadcast television stations?

Not one of them had a receptionist answering their phones.

Not one.

Which means if you don’t know the extension, there’s absolutely no way to reach anyone.

It’s incredibly frustrating and it seems like these outlets, which all claim to be interested in the people of their community, are in fact, not even remotely interested at all. I’ve noticed this before about TV and radio stations. Increasingly, they simply don’t want to waste time talking to the public – you know, those people they rely on to help them pull in advertising dollars.

I think most have staffed newsrooms you can talk to. But if that’s not who you’re trying to reach, you’re lost. It’s voice mail hell or nothing – and they never call you back.

Yes, they’re saving time and possibly money by not having to hire front desk call takers. But even in an era of email and texting, there are times when you simply need to talk to a real human being.

Sadly, the places mentioned above don’t seem to have any of those any more. When you stop connecting with the public you serve, you lose. It’s unfortunate these companies haven’t learned that lesson.

(And by the way, while I’m on this subject, could someone please explain to me why EVERY phone menu is constantly being changed. At least to hear the recordings tell it - and I do at every place I call, not just broadcasters. “Please listen carefully because our menu options have recently changed,” they warn over and over and over. Just how many times do they change these things anyway?)
</rant> 

July 23, 2019 12:50 pm  #2

Re: Do TV or Radio Stations Ever Answer Their Phones Any More?

RadioActive wrote:

(And by the way, while I’m on this subject, could someone please explain to me why EVERY phone menu is constantly being changed. At least to hear the recordings tell it - and I do at every place I call, not just broadcasters. “Please listen carefully because our menu options have recently changed,” they warn over and over and over. Just how many times do they change these things anyway?) 

They don't. It's their desperate attempt at getting people to actual listen to the choices.

July 23, 2019 12:53 pm  #3

That's true. They want to make sure that when you get thrown over to a never answered voicemail, at least you have the right department that's ignoring you. 

July 23, 2019 2:40 pm  #4

The last time I had the need to call a radio station: at my location I hear two Spanish stations on 900 (covering CHML) about an hour before sunset in the winter. Maryland and Delaware have Spanish 900s, and confirming DE would add another state to my AM log book. Naturally, neither station had any local content including legal IDs, taking their programs off satellite from who knows where ... at the time there were no SDRs in their general area, and their web streams offered the same generic content. One day, I looked up the phone # of the DE station (WJMJ in Georgetown) and, against my better judgement,  called it. I spoke to -- actually, I did most of the talking -- an otherwise pleasant-sounding young man who gave me the impression he'd just arrived on Earth from outer space, who knew very little English. It then occurred to me that it's very likely the # was for the cell phone of someone tasked with answering should the station's number ever ring, who wasn't even at the station. All this par for the course in today's America .... then it occurred to me, after many phone "conversations" with the folks who run things now, that a generation that places such a high priority on social interaction protocol has really lousy people skills and has accepted as normal a back-of-the-hand, take-it-or-leave-it way of doing business and dealing with essentials like phone calls. Maybe the issues are at my end. Ask one of these millennials and I know he or she would confirm that. They are, after all, always right. It's their world now. I just live in it. And I still need Delaware.

July 23, 2019 6:02 pm  #5

I get why stations wouldn’t want to bother with some callers. I used to get weird calls all the time, from people wanting to know “what time will it start to rain?” to questions about sports scores. One guy wanted to know when the next Meatloaf LP was coming out.

They can be annoying, especially when you have a ton of other work to do. And then there are the crank callers, who deliberately try and waste your time. Which brings up a story that happened when I was at CKEY in the late 70s, and one of our sportscasters got his revenge on an absolute jackass.

It started when the station’s news tip line began receiving some very confusing obscene phone calls. A guy would constantly call up in the days before call display and call trace, and spew the following nonsense: (Excuse the language, but this is what he said.)

“Fuck off with your Joe Clark cocksucker wipeout, fuck in, fuck out.”

And then he’d hang up, only to call again with the exact same rant a few hours or minutes later.

No one knew exactly what it was he was trying to say – except that he was apparently upset with Canada’s then-Prime Minister - or why he’d chosen CKEY. But the same messages persisted for weeks and weeks. Because it was on a hotline that was answered live in case of a breaking news story, we were forced to answer the phone – even if we thought it was him. Too often, it was.

Finally, after trying everything else, the newsroom reported him to Bell Canada, which promised to take care of it the next time he called. Sure enough, the phone rang the next day and it started again.   

“Fuck off with your Joe Clark cocksucker wipeout, fuck in, fuck out.” CLICK!

But this time was different. Bell had managed to force the guy to stay connected to the line he’d called and he was unable to hang up. With a tape rolling in the newsroom, we heard the guy pick the receiver back up and try and dial out.

“What the fuck???” we heard him say in utter frustration, as he continued in vain to try and dial another number – or perhaps, redial the newsroom.

For nearly six hours, this drama went on, with the guy on the other end of the phone frantically trying to call out and being unable to get so much as a dial tone. By this time, Bell technicians had traced his number and authorities were dispatched.

The caller was charged by police with making the annoying and obscene calls and in the end, he was fined and threatened that his service would be disconnected if he ever committed a similar sin. He promised he wouldn’t and we never heard from him again.

But that didn’t mean he didn’t hear from us.

A few months passed and the case came to court. It actually made one of those small articles in the newspaper and that’s when we learned the guy’s name for the very first time – which may have been something like John Doe.

One of our sports guys, whose name I won’t use, had been one of the people taking a lot of this jerk’s calls and decided the punishment – a small fine and a warning - didn’t fit the crime. So he plotted his own revenge.

He looked up the man’s name in the phone book, found his number and dialled the seven digits.

The phone rang.

“Hello?” a familiar voice answered.

“Is this John Doe?” the sportsman asked in a voice tinged with sweetness and light.

“Yes,” came the reply. “Who’s this?”

Our guy ignored the question and kept right on going. 

“I have something I’ve been meaning to say to you. ‘Fuck off with your Joe Clark cocksucker wipeout, fuck in, fuck out!’” he screamed into the phone, before hanging up on the idiot for good.

I’ve always wondered what the guy made of that call and if he ever figured out how the person on the other end could have known what he’d said in all his own illicit contacts.

The entire thing was recorded and that’s how our sportsman became something of a folk hero in the newsroom and to anyone who’s ever had to endure an attack by telephone.

July 23, 2019 7:05 pm  #6

I used to get calls from people all the time asking when the rain or snow would start.  After a while I just gave them a time (when's the snow storm going to arrive? 9:07 pm) and they always seemed happy with that.

July 23, 2019 7:28 pm  #7

When I used to work overnights at CHML back in the 90's (when they were still playing music), there was a guy that would phone in every night, without fail, and request Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald".

Sometimes he'd phone more than once a night and would request it again, even after we'd played it. Ron Funnell, who also used to work overnights at the time, can verify this as true.

Then, there was a little old lady that used to phone up and chastise me for not playing Bobby Goldsboro's "Honey" in its entirety, even though I played every godawful 3:55 of it. The song has a weird fade at the end, so I think that may have led her to believe that. She would be on the phone within about twenty seconds of the song ending, like clockwork, to give me a piece of her mind.
"How could you fade out of such a beautiful song?", she used to ask.  

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

July 24, 2019 12:09 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

<rant>
In the last few days, I’ve had the occasion to call City TV, CTV, Yes TV and one Buffalo affiliate for a project I was working on. What do they all have in common, besides being broadcast television stations?

Not one of them had a receptionist answering their phones.

Not one.

As of a year ago I know Yes TV had a receptionist answering the phone. But, they had her doing so much else running around she was rarely near the phone to actually answer it.

When CHUM ran Citytv, someone answered the phone.

740 and Classical 96 have a real person answering the phone most of the time. 

July 24, 2019 12:12 pm  #9

Corus does, too, as I just found out. But there are way too many that greet you with voicemail when you call and an often exhausting and frustrating menu of options that don't usually answer your questions. It's a delicate balance between serving the bottom line and serving the public. You know which one of those wins in most cases!

July 24, 2019 12:53 pm  #10

Paul Jeffries wrote:

there was a guy that would phone in every night, without fail, and request Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald".  Sometimes he'd phone more than once a night and would request it again, even after we'd played it.  Then, there was a little old lady that used to phone up and chastise me for not playing Bobby Goldsboro's "Honey" in its entirety, even though I played every godawful 3:55 of it

Ever think about how many listeners moved their dial to get away from those two listener requests?