sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 22, 2019 5:36 pm  #1

How Canadian are our favourite shows eh? A report sheds light

Some of our fave Canadian  shows are maybe not as Canadian rich in content and production as we may think, here is a look into how truly Canadian our TV shows are...Vice magazine sheds a little light ...

At least they serve Timmies on the set at least.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/qv77p3/how-canadian-are-your-favourite-shows-an-investigation

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

July 22, 2019 7:24 pm  #2

Re: How Canadian are our favourite shows eh? A report sheds light

sigh, i have butted heads with other well-respected contributors on this board about said topic in the past.  It is wonderful that so many people in the domestic tv/film industry have achieved their dreams of a career in the medium.  Tax breaks and media funds certainly have played a role in that development.

However, as the article points out, many of these productions receiving tax incentives or other funds do not reflect our country's stories. "These are shows where Canadian culture and stories take a back seat, allowing our country to instead take on an anonymous, everyplace quality."

to be fair, i haven't watched Handmaid's tale in awhile, but one of the protagonists fled persecution and ended up in canada's welcoming arms, so i guess that's ok.

I will ask the question.  do the tax credits and media funds weigh the allocation money based on the relevance of subject matter to Canadians, or based on the number of jobs created nationally?

Muffy, timmies is relevant to this discussion in reverse.  an international company pretending to be Canadian!

July 22, 2019 9:33 pm  #3

splunge wrote:

I will ask the question.  do the tax credits and media funds weigh the allocation money based on the relevance of subject matter to Canadians, or based on the number of jobs created nationally?

I know I'll draw criticism for this, but here goes.

While not a fan of most Tax Credits and "Funds" (media or otherwise);  if they are to exist then I am looking for a defined monetary benefit to the community at large.  Business contracts obtained by Canadian companies, local residents employed, monies pumped back into the community via purchases by these companies and their employees and last but not least...decent paying jobs in an era where long term employment is not an option for many.

I am a proud Canadian, but if Government Funds are to be used then let them at least have a tangible benefit.  Canada is here to stay and its existence isn't doesn't depend on regulatory required content.

July 22, 2019 11:14 pm  #4

geeze, Media Observer.  Imagine an online world where we could actually disagree without calling each other names or disparaging character! 

i would like to ask how the international media groups are eligible for gov't support, while national companies like bombardier, snc, or even national print media are vilified for asking for the same consideration? (political scandal(s) aside)

July 23, 2019 12:06 am  #5

splunge wrote:

geeze, Media Observer.  Imagine an online world where we could actually disagree without calling each other names or disparaging character! 

Indeed!

Sadly,  such a world (online and real) is increasingly being left to ones' imagination.