sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 19, 2019 1:29 pm  #1

How To Save Local Newspapers: Skew Older Not Younger

We mostly deal with radio and TV on this board but this article, linked by FYImusicnews.ca, posits something I doubt many would expect. It suggests that, instead of trying to appeal to younger readers, who rarely if ever look at a newspaper unless it's online, focus the actual paper version on older readers, who are used to turning real pages. 

Among the seemingly crazy suggestions: more crossword puzzles to keep the mind active, more stories geared to an older generation's interests and believe it or not, an expanded obituary page, because "what could be more important than the deaths of loyal readers’ contemporaries?"

Crazy or a temporary survival strategy while they figure out something else? If anything, the comment section filled with reaction from former newspaper reporters is even more interesting than the article itself. 

Gotta go. My paper just arrived on my doorstep and I've got to read the headline - apparently, the Boer War just broke out!

Industry Insight: To Slow Decline, Newspaper Print Editions Should Act Their Age 

July 19, 2019 2:27 pm  #2

Re: How To Save Local Newspapers: Skew Older Not Younger

Can I get an "Amen!"?

I used to read 5 newspapers a day.  (Granted they were free at the station, but nevertheless...) Now I buy a single paper beginning on Thursday because that's when the crosswords get more challenging. And you know what?  Paying a buck for a crossword is getting hard to justify when I can get a free one in my daily update from The Atlantic.

July 19, 2019 4:04 pm  #3

Re: How To Save Local Newspapers: Skew Older Not Younger

It's easy to dismiss the author's suggestions, but consider this. Moses Znaimer has made a fair amount of money catering to that demo on AM 740 (and 96.7 FM downtown) aiming for an audience that no one else seems to care about. His station will never be #1, but it earns its keep and if you're a Boomer and want to hear that kind of music over the air, there aren't that many other places to go locally. 

Plus that age group is now either retiring or nearing the end of their working lives and many of them have more money than the younger audience everyone else is chasing. There's something to be said for that, although advertisers don't seem to want them. 

I once asked former CHUM newsman Denis Woolings if he was interested in returning to radio by applying to AM 740. I'll never forget his response. "Why would I want to take a job talking to dead people?" 

Still, appealing to that demo may well work - for a while. The only real drawback is that that audience will eventually die off and you'll be stuck without any listeners at all, forcing a format change. But with a younger audience used to listening to music only on FM, online or through their own devices, where exactly would you go next? The same thing will presumably happen to newspapers. But it could be a stopgap measure for a few years.