sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2019 4:58 pm  #1

Summer OTA Reception?

For the past 2 weeks im having strange TV OTA reception which I never had before - Most of the buffalo channels (except 2.1 and 4.1) not being received.  Erie channels (WSEE-DT) in particular on channel 35 (blocking out the CTV Two Barrie repeater Hamilton) coming in strong.

Weak breakup for CITY TV and Global Toronto for a strange reason aswell for me and no sign of WUTV.   I went checking my antenna system thinking there is something wrong but when I saw Erie coming in full signal then I knew there wasnt.

Running a DB4E in Etobicoke facing south on a 4th floor big balcony.

Anyone else?

Last edited by markow202 (July 2, 2019 4:59 pm)

July 2, 2019 5:10 pm  #2

Re: Summer OTA Reception?

I haven't quite had those issues that you describe, but I've noticed a few outages as far as WIVB and even WNLO are concerned. Normally, they're amongst the strongest signals I get in northern North York. To make it even more baffling, when I check the reception through my DVR, it says I'm getting a fairly good signal but the signal quality is at or near zero. Wait half an hour and it's all back. 

I always have digital tearing (sounds like a medical condition) on CBLT, of all places, and I think it just may be that I'm using an amplifier and their signal is so strong it's overpowering my system.

And despite the better weather, I haven't gotten a sniff on Channel 67, the low powered ME TV stations out near Buffalo. not once all year. It's rarely here, but usually by now it comes in at least occasionally. I wonder if all the endless moisture in the air this year has swallowed a lot of the signal 

July 2, 2019 5:34 pm  #3

Re: Summer OTA Reception?

RadioActive wrote:

I haven't quite had those issues that you describe, but I've noticed a few outages as far as WIVB and even WNLO are concerned. Normally, they're amongst the strongest signals I get in northern North York. To make it even more baffling, when I check the reception through my DVR, it says I'm getting a fairly good signal but the signal quality is at or near zero. Wait half an hour and it's all back. 

I always have digital tearing (sounds like a medical condition) on CBLT, of all places, and I think it just may be that I'm using an amplifier and their signal is so strong it's overpowering my system.

And despite the better weather, I haven't gotten a sniff on Channel 67, the low powered ME TV stations out near Buffalo. not once all year. It's rarely here, but usually by now it comes in at least occasionally. I wonder if all the endless moisture in the air this year has swallowed a lot of the signal 

I did notice WIVB and WNLO also not being picked up last night either for me.  Always an interesting time of year for reception of tv and radio!