sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2019 3:30 pm  #1

Spots that make you want to turn the radio UP

With another thread deriding spots having been started, I thought I'd start one highlighting spots that actually make you stop and pay attention, turn the volume up, or even back up a PVR recording just so you can watch it.

I realize that everybody's tastes are different but here are three of my favourites to starts things off:

1.  Alpine credits radio spots.
All based on the word "approved", they're creative, silly, and well acted.  Just fun to listen to.  I find myself turning the radio up when one comes on.

2.  Ancestry.ca -- Irish eyes are smilin'
It was back around St. Patrick's day this year when Ancestry ran a spot featuring a young female voice singing the song.  I was so captivated by the 10 or so seconds of the song I heard, I had to see if I could identify  it.  After playing the spot several times, I put it through soundhound which correctly identified it:

The spot starts playing the song at the 25 second mark.  (right when the vocals start)

The song was recorded in 1960 by Joni James.  I'm almost ashamed to admit I'd never heard of her before.  Aside from have ancestry burned in my head, I discovered an amazing vocalist who basically gave it all up in in the early 60s to care for her sick husband.

3. Doctors Without Borders - Everybody Hurts
Although I haven't contributed, (yet) the spots do the job without being preachy.  If it does nothing else, it really puts your own  complaints into perspective.  Unlike other charities who try to guilt you into contributing, this one doesn't seem to do that.

Ok then.  What spots (regardless of media) make you, in a positive way, sit up and take notice?

Last edited by Peter the K (July 2, 2019 3:31 pm)

July 2, 2019 5:08 pm  #2

Re: Spots that make you want to turn the radio UP

The RBC spots with the couple in the coffee shop and the guy talking to the woman in his fake British accent are clever and well done.

On the TV side, the Real Cdn Superstore"Shop like a mother" spots are good. 

July 2, 2019 6:36 pm  #3

Peter the K wrote:

2.  Ancestry.ca -- Irish eyes are smilin'
It was back around St. Patrick's day this year when Ancestry ran a spot featuring a young female voice singing the song.  I was so captivated by the 10 or so seconds of the song I heard, I had to see if I could identify  it.  After playing the spot several times, I put it through soundhound which correctly identified it:

The spot starts playing the song at the 25 second mark.  (right when the vocals start)

The song was recorded in 1960 by Joni James.  I'm almost ashamed to admit I'd never heard of her before.  Aside from have ancestry burned in my head, I discovered an amazing vocalist who basically gave it all up in in the early 60s to care for her sick husband.

A fine choice.  I came across Ms. James version on You Tube by chance,  when I was looking for another version earlier this year.

She also did great releases of My Wild Irish Rose and Danny Boy to name but a few.  She has an interesting Bio.

July 2, 2019 6:38 pm  #4

Happy Birthday suit sale to me

July 2, 2019 6:44 pm  #5

I don't think I'd ever turn a commercial "up", but I think the Home Depot spots where they emphasize the copy differently to show the positive/negative contrast are really clever.

July 2, 2019 9:08 pm  #6

Saul Korman 569 Danforth Ave...

We got men's pants half off, and I am not sure why?

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

July 3, 2019 5:28 am  #7

I love this one for Cadbury's Dairy Milk. I see the ultra short version pop up as an ad on YouTube videos.
I could only find the long version to post here, but I think it's even sweeter. (no pun intended)

July 3, 2019 4:50 pm  #8

i'm a little surprised someone wasn't familiar with the song "when irish eyes are smiling" (with the popularity of saint patrick's day)... then again, i do have a wee bit of irish in me (and i was born in a city known for its irish roots).

Last edited by the original hank (July 3, 2019 4:53 pm)

July 3, 2019 8:09 pm  #9

I guess I'm just old-fashioned, but if I were enticed to turn the volume up for an advertisement it'd be time to consider chemical castration to compliment my intellectual decline.

July 3, 2019 11:00 pm  #10

the original hank wrote:

i'm a little surprised someone wasn't familiar with the song "when irish eyes are smiling" (with the popularity of saint patrick's day)... then again, i do have a wee bit of irish in me (and i was born in a city known for its irish roots).

If you're referring to my post I would invite you to read it again carefully.

Be that as it may, she really did a fabulous job on the whole album even if she is Italian.

July 4, 2019 2:36 pm  #11

Peter the K wrote:

the original hank wrote:

If you're referring to my post I would invite you to read it again carefully.

Be that as it may, she really did a fabulous job on the whole album even if she is Italian.

Born and raised in Chicago, Illinois.