sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2019 11:41 am  #1

Walkman's 40th Anniversary Celebrates A Game Changer

July 1st wasn’t just Canada Day. It was the 40th anniversary of what was once a game-changing device: The Sony Walkman.

Legend has it that the honchos at the Japanese electronics giant didn’t see the potential of a personal listening machine that didn’t have a speaker. If that’s true, they proved themselves wrong when their creation became the must-have gadget of the 90s.

I had several of them over the years, beginning with one that had a rotary-type tuning dial and a cassette player. Over the years, it morphed into a digital tuner, but always that same tape player was there. I used mine for years, before finally upgrading to an MP3 player. (Since I never throw anything out, you'll find some pics of them below.)

Most people now just use their phones to store their music. But it can’t be over-emphasized just how major this invention was. It was both a boon to radio - because you could listen to whatever station you wanted – and a bane, because if you were listening to pre-recorded tape you weren’t hearing your local stations.

So happy anniversary to the Walkman. It was a major part of many lives in the past few decades. And in many ways, it was the forerunner of the digital devices we all depend on today.

Reflections on the Walkman and Radio on the Occasion of the Former’s 40th Birthday

The Sony Walkman Turns 40

=================================================

My first Walkman. Notice the analogue radio dial and the Canadian-like Maple Leaf logo,

Walkman #2 was an innovation - digital tuning and 9 radio presets! Not to mention auto reverse.

Walkman #3 wasn't a Sony. It was made by Aiwa - but it had 30 presets!

Walkman #4 was a real innovation - 40 different stations could be stored. Unfortunately, there weren't 40 stations I wanted to listen to, so I have no idea what I programmed on them. 

And finally, for the first (and almost certainly the last) time, all of them together in one space!

Now if I could just find those old cassettes... 

July 2, 2019 12:13 pm  #2

Re: Walkman's 40th Anniversary Celebrates A Game Changer

I miss my Sony Walkman recorder, which used to allow me to record radio stations on cassette.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 2, 2019 1:45 pm  #3

I never found one with a recorder in it, but that sure would have come in handy. The thing about that first analogue one that I remember best, though, is that it came with a strap - not a belt clip. That meant you either had to carry it in your hand (it was too large for a pocket) or sling it over your shoulder - hardly a good thing if you were jogging or running, since it flapped all over the place. 

The clips were better, but they broke way too easily and it was very tough to get a replacement - especially since every time they came out with a new model, the old belt clips wouldn't fit on the new one.

Do you think this is where Apple got the idea to continually "improve" things to the point where you always need to upgrade?

July 2, 2019 1:56 pm  #4

The sound was stunning - the clarity of the music was something I'd  not experienced before.
40 years later I still vividly recall the very moment I put on those headphones to listen to a Walkman. 
It blew me away - never forgot it... 

July 2, 2019 3:45 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I never found one with a recorder in it

They existed. There were two versions. My first one had a regular AM/FM dial and my second was digital. 
They're both dead now. (no, that's not me trying to get money for a dead one on Ebay! lol)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-WM-GX-322-walkman-cassette-recorder-vintage-for-parts-dead-/392154480195

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 2, 2019 4:12 pm  #6

i had one with dual mics under each headphone.  85ish... technics i think.

July 9, 2019 8:55 pm  #7

July 9, 2019 9:01 pm  #8

Thanks Observer. I hadn't seen that. Don't think I'd buy one, but it's certainly interesting - and not what I was expecting!

July 9, 2019 9:03 pm  #9

I love this site for both walkabout and boom box images and history:
The Pocket Calculator Walkman and Boom Box Site

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

July 9, 2019 9:22 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

Thanks Observer. I hadn't seen that. Don't think I'd buy one, but it's certainly interesting - and not what I was expecting!

I wouldn't buy one either,  but the article and video brought back a lot of memories.  Speaking of which...this past week has got me in nostalgia overload mode...LOL.  Walkmans, kids TV shows, and even a Crystal Radio!  You and the other posters never cease to surprise me with the gems you come up with. 

Jody's last post (thank you) is a perfect example of this.  I have to go back and read (the link) in detail;  but even a glimpse at the Calculator tab reactivated some long extinguished brain cells.

Last edited by Media Observer (July 9, 2019 9:24 pm)