sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2019 4:23 pm  #1

Supermarket Billionaire Buys Legendary WABC-AM From Cumulus

One of the most legendary radio stations in the world has a new owner. And for a change, it's not one of the big radio conglomerates. Instead it's a billionaire who made his fortune in supermarkets and real estate. WABC was the most listened to radio station in North America in its rock days.

Its ratings as a talk format are still pretty good and it claims to be the most streamed station in the U.S. 

The oddity: the new owner has a talk show of his own but on a rival station. How long before he carves out some 77 goodness for himself?

By the way, worth noting that this isn't the only big outlet Cumulus has sold off this year. Long time rocker WPLJ, which used to be WABC-FM, left the air on May 31st and is now an all-Christian format. 

John Catsimatidis acquires 77 WABC radio for $12.5 million 

June 27, 2019 9:33 pm  #2

Re: Supermarket Billionaire Buys Legendary WABC-AM From Cumulus

The Wall Street Journal article on this story indicates that the new owner plans to put his talk show on WABC - and also leave it on the Hackensack N.J. station where it originated. He clearly has some broadcast experience, but I always get a little nervous when a non-radio guy who's an owner tries to go on air.

Who's going to tell him if his show isn't good or needs to be improved? Especially after checking out his on air delivery here. 

June 28, 2019 2:54 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

I always get a little nervous when a non-radio guy who's an owner tries to go on air.    Who's going to tell him if his show isn't good or needs to be improved?   

Numeris

June 28, 2019 5:03 pm  #4

I doubt he cares. This is a vanity/hobby purchase.

June 29, 2019 5:38 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Who's going to tell him if his show isn't good or needs to be improved?

Sonny from Richmond Hill