sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 24, 2019 11:54 am  #1

The Man Behind Fats Domino's Biggest Hits Dies At 100

Normally, I wouldn't post such an obscure obit here. But the guy who wrote or co-wrote some of Fats Domino's biggest 50s hits - including "Ain't That A Shame" and "I'm Walkin'"- not only lived a long life but had some bizarre stories to tell about how those iconic songs were composed. 

Check this out from the linked article about the passing of Dave Bartholomew:

"Actually, we never sat down to write anything. He and I just played," Bartholomew told The Times-Picayune in 2010. "I remember one time on 'I'm in Love Again,' we went outside and somebody said, 'Don't let the dog bite you.' So we come back and put that in the song."

I love inside stuff like that and I'll remember it the next time I hear that tune. Among his other hits - "My Ding -a-Ling" which scandalously was Chuck Berry's first #1 hit in the U.S. 

A hundred years is a pretty good run in anyone's songbook, even for someone you may have never heard of before.

Dave Bartholomew, co-wrote 'Ain't That a Shame," dies at 100

June 24, 2019 3:26 pm  #2

Re: The Man Behind Fats Domino's Biggest Hits Dies At 100

Probably just my imagination running wild as usual, but an individual in that photo looks like James (Godfather of Soul) Brown and another looks like George (Norm Peterson) Wendt

June 24, 2019 4:37 pm  #3

Re: The Man Behind Fats Domino's Biggest Hits Dies At 100

When I was at 590 CKEY...we presented Jerry Lee Lewis and Fats Domino at the old Ontario Place Forum.  I was the MC.  What a contrast...Jerry Lee...full of himself and mean spirited.  No fun to be around at all.  At least he showed up on time for a change.  Incorrigible.  Drifting aimlessly on the thin ice of a long distant past.  Fats?  A total gentleman with at least 5 times as many hits and 10 times the influence.  His music director was there with him.  They were inseparable.  HE was Dave Bartholomew.  Composite scholar and graduate [summa cum laude] from the age-old school of New Orleans music.  He enjoyed a fair number of his own hits.  It was a privilege to spend several hour with them both...Fats and Dave...I hope his last years were enjoyable.  They brought lots of joy to a whole lotta people. 

Dignity vs. Trailer Trash.  The twain did meet.  Mark my words.