sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 12, 2019 9:42 am  #1

Ex-Broadcaster Laments Long Gone Days Of Radio's Top 40 Majesty

At the risk of being labelled a bitter old white guy yelling at clouds (See the Please STOP!!! thread), this article makes the usual arguments about what radio has lost to corporate interests over the years. But it's hard to argue with the points he makes. I found it an interesting read. You might, as well.

Nostalgia for the Good Ol’ Days 

June 12, 2019 11:43 am  #2

Re: Ex-Broadcaster Laments Long Gone Days Of Radio's Top 40 Majesty

The author concludes his waltz down memory lane stating that if he wins a lottery he will buy back a radio station from its corporate owners and will manage it so it will sound like ones he remembers from the good old days.  

In (somewhat) related news, Friday's Lotto-max stands at $65 million.    What's on the market in Canada for $65 million?     Could it be re-programmed to sound like the good old days?    Don Daynard, John Donabie, Mike Marshall, Doug Thompson & Uncle Fester regularly lurk here.   

How can you gents be reached on Saturday morning in the event someone has $65 million to invest in you?

Last edited by geo (June 12, 2019 11:43 am)

June 12, 2019 4:07 pm  #3

As a radio fan and listener, I am glad that I lived and listened during the times that the writer speaks of. However I think it's a selective and unfair comparison to communicate with the world on your laptop while sitting in front of your 80-channel hi-def television, and lament the days of listening to your Japanese transistor radio tucked under your pillow after you were told to go to bed.

Just like old grey-haired white guys weren't the target demo for Top 40 radio in 1967, us old grey-haired white guys aren't today's target demo. Today's short-attention-span teenager has evolved and so has radio. I've got 900 tunes on a USB stick in my dashboard and a smart phone that can blue tooth Oh Wow. I'm surprised that terrestrial radio stations still exist.

June 12, 2019 5:17 pm  #4

geo wrote:

Don Daynard, John Donabie, Mike Marshall, Doug Thompson & Uncle Fester regularly lurk here.   

How can you gents be reached on Saturday morning  

Please don't lump me in with those old farts...

June 13, 2019 4:56 pm  #5

Please don't lump me in with anyone named Uncle Fester.