sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 6, 2019 11:36 am  #1

Rogers Tries To Stop North Bay From Getting New Radio Station

What if someone wanted to start a new radio station in a small town and no one else did? You might figure the CRTC would green light the applicant, especially since there are no other competitors.

Which brings us to North Bay, where the Commission appears ready to approve a new outlet for Vista Radio, despite heated opposition from Rogers. The latter company already owns a single FM station there and thinks the market can sustain another one.

Rogers has three channels there, two FMs and AM veteran CKAT. When the Commission tried to ascertain if North Bay could sustain another competitor, Rogers immediately objected, painting a not-very-flattering picture of the town where they’re operating three stations.

“According to Rogers, the North Bay radio market is stagnant and has limited potential for future growth. It indicated that radio stations must already compete for local advertising sales with local television stations and newspapers.

“Rogers stated that a new station would have an undue financial impact on existing operators in the market and would undermine their ability to sustain local news and information services. Rogers added that North Bay’s overall economy is experiencing significant challenges, specifically in terms of employment rates, population decline and household income.”

Nice way to talk about your city of licence that you’re supposed to be boosting on air.

The CRTC disagreed and concluded that there is room for another outlet, and since Vista is the only applicant, it appears they are on track for a second station. I know North Bay isn’t the focus of SOWNY in general, but the CRTC’s announcement is a fascinating little document you can read here.

June 6, 2019 12:35 pm  #2

Re: Rogers Tries To Stop North Bay From Getting New Radio Station

RA, what the hell is/are your problem(s) with Rogers?  Please explain in detail.  You seem to bitch and moan about them at every possible opportunity.

June 6, 2019 1:00 pm  #3

I admit to not being a fan, although I believe this is a legitimate radio industry story and thus belongs here. I don't like the way Rogers does business or tries to crush any competition. And I believe the government has let them control way too many facets of the industry, from cable to broadcast ownership, the Internet and cell phones. No one company should have that much say over vital infrastructure. And that's not really Rogers' fault. It's the government for not having the foresight to stop it from happening in the first place. 

In the case of this thread, though, it just happened to be Rogers that tried to downgrade its own city of licence in order to keep a competitor out. I thought their reasoning was interesting if deeply flawed, and it was worth noting. But I likely would have posted this had it been Bell, Corus or some other giant.

And by the way, I admit that when I first joined SOWNY more than ten years ago, I frequently went on anti-Rogers rants. I don't think I've really done that in a long time.  

That said, I'm glad it looks like their efforts won't work and that Vista will wind up with a new station that will perhaps make all the stations there better simply by having some competition - the thing that usually spurs you on to your best work and creates more broadcast jobs.

June 6, 2019 8:51 pm  #4

Forward Power wrote:

RA, what the hell is/are your problem(s) with Rogers?  Please explain in detail.  You seem to bitch and moan about them at every possible opportunity.

Fuck Rogers

June 7, 2019 12:08 am  #5

unclefester wrote:

Fuck Rogers

Over time, unclefester, I've noticed you have a way of getting right to the point.

June 7, 2019 7:26 pm  #6

June 7, 2019 8:22 pm  #7

Aytononline wrote:

Saying there is not enough advertising dollars for a new radio or tv station is standard practice. I don't think this has anything to do with Roger's. If you replace Roger's with Bayshore or Blackburn they would have said the same thing.

Completely. From a business point of view, it would have been irresponsible to at least not attempt this.

June 7, 2019 10:05 pm  #8

I have written several of these types of papers, both supporting and opposing a new market entrant.  You make the facts fit  the argument.  Absolutely, rogers had to try their best to limit vista..... but on the other hand, it is telling that no other national broadcaster or even a local wannabe put their hand up to say they want in on joining the competition.  good luck to vista, i've been to north bay.

June 10, 2019 10:07 am  #9

mike marshall wrote:

unclefester wrote:

Fuck Rogers

Over time, unclefester, I've noticed you have a way of getting right to the point.

I have worked at dozens of different companies in my career, and no experience comes even marginally close to as bad as the year I spent at Rogers. The money was good so I toughed it out, but resigned myself to the realisation that I would get absolutely nothing done. I worked on four different projects, on teams large and small, and together we did not move the ball a single inch in 12 months.

June 12, 2019 12:10 am  #10

Every company does this when a station tries to come in to the market.  This is the regular course of doing business.