sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 27, 2019 7:46 pm  #1

Legendary Radio Host Recalls Being At John Lennon's Bed-in For Peace

It's been 50 years since John Lennon and Yoko Ono stayed in bed for peace at a Montreal hotel room, the same place where the smash hit "Give Peace A Chance" was recorded. All this week, the Montreal Gazette has presented special articles about the famous event (which was almost held in Toronto until someone told Lennon that the city was too conservative and provincial, so he changed the location.)

On Monday, the latest piece came from Montreal radio legend Tommy Schnurmacher, who toiled for years at CJAD and wasn't even in radio when he got to meet the couple. (Let's face it, when he got to meet John. Nobody, absolutely nobody had any real interest in meeting Yoko.) 

His story about how he talked his way in and what happened after that - and years later - is very entertaining. The part about how they took care of Yoko's daughter would be unthinkable in these more paranoid modern times.

You can read it at the link below.

Schnurmacher: Meeting John, Yoko (and Kyoko) and how it cost me a friend

May 27, 2019 10:11 pm  #2

Re: Legendary Radio Host Recalls Being At John Lennon's Bed-in For Peace

The hotel has actually recreated the room they stayed in and it’s charging $1,969 (after the year it happened) for a single night.

There is one story few people know about and it involves Yoko’s daughter. Both parents wanted the little girl to eat properly while she was stuck in that hotel room, so they tried to give her some carrots. But Kyoko absolutely refused to try them.

Then they gave her a few green beans. Same thing.

After that, they attempted to slip in some corn. But the little girl turned her nose up at that, too.

Finally, they presented her with a plate of green peas. But the child wouldn’t even consider them. Exasperated, John and Yoko both stood up in front of her and pleaded, “All we are saying is give peas a chance!”

As I re-read this now, I see that this was a very long journey to get to that rather lame punchline. Just forget the whole thing… 

May 28, 2019 5:25 pm  #3

Re: Legendary Radio Host Recalls Being At John Lennon's Bed-in For Peace

LOL   Despite my best attempts RA,  I couldn't suppress a smile after the last "peas".