sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 22, 2019 9:46 am  #1

Caller becomes panellist

There is this guy Jeff who calls in so often to Newstalk 1010 that they decided to put him on a panel and he is on the Jerry Agar show this morning in the first hour. They did not identify his profession or anything, simply said that he calls so much that he earned a spot.

May 22, 2019 10:30 am  #2

Re: Caller becomes panellist

milton wrote:

There is this guy Jeff who calls in so often to Newstalk 1010 that they decided to put him on a panel and he is on the Jerry Agar show this morning in the first hour. They did not identify his profession or anything, simply said that he calls so much that he earned a spot.

His name is actually Casper Jeffrey, but he goes by the name Jeff - I guess because introducing someone as "Casper" would conjure images of a friendly ghost or perhaps he wouldn't be taken as seriously. Whatever the reason, he chose his last name to I.D. himself. 

On his first appearance on Agar's show as a panelist, he revealed that he used to be a police officer in the Caribbean. I think he said Jamaica, but I don't quite recall. I have no idea what he's doing now, if anything. 

It doesn't happen often, but it's not the first time being a caller to a show led to a radio career. A guy who called himself "Lionel" (real name Michael Lebron) used to call up a Florida talk show and argue with the hosts, telling them they didn't know what they were talking about and then going on to refute them. 

Management was so impressed with the guy, they offered him his own show. It eventually became a nationally syndicated program, although Lionel turned out to be something of a conspiracy theorist and almost single-handedly destroyed his own rep, 

So far, no one has offered uber-liberal "Jeff" his own show, but CFRB has been known to take chances before so who knows whether they might one day offer the guy an hour on a Sunday night just to see how he does.