sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2015 11:45 am  #1

Buffalo Morning Man Announces Retirement After 40 Yrs. In The Biz

Larry Norton has been a fixture on WGRF-FM (aka 97 Rock) for a long time. Although he's no dummy - he avoids Buffalo winters by doing most of his hosting chores from his home in Florida. 

97 Rock's Larry Norton makes surprise on-air retirement announcement

September 17, 2015 12:21 pm  #2

Re: Buffalo Morning Man Announces Retirement After 40 Yrs. In The Biz

They say 30 years, but what was Norton doing while 97 Rock dropped its AOR format for about two years?  Remember when it was WGR-FM for a time, programmed as a lite AC format in late 1985?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 17, 2015 5:30 pm  #3

Norton was at WYSL before 97-Rock.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 17, 2015 5:34 pm  #4

Jody Thornton wrote:

They say 30 years, but what was Norton doing while 97 Rock dropped its AOR format for about two years?  Remember when it was WGR-FM for a time, programmed as a lite AC format in late 1985?

It was WGR-FM from 1959 until 1973, when it became WGRQ. WGRQ became WRLT in 1985. The WGRQ calls were restored in 1988 but were changed to WGRF in 1991.

September 17, 2015 8:55 pm  #5

I'll have to check because they dropped the "97 Rock" format for a couple of years.  In fact, thery were still AC in 1987 because that year (for a period of three or so days) on WPHD, they recreated 97 Rock on 103.3.

I swore they had the calls WGR on there as of 1996.  The imaging guy sounded a lot like Robert W. Morgan (though I'm not sure it was him).  I can even remember them playing Ambrosia's "Biggest Part of Me" on a Saturday afternoon (The LP version in fact).

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 17, 2015 9:10 pm  #6

Jody Thornton wrote:

I'll have to check because they dropped the "97 Rock" format for a couple of years.  In fact, thery were still AC in 1987 because that year (for a period of three or so days) on WPHD, they recreated 97 Rock on 103.3.

I swore they had the calls WGR on there as of 1996.  The imaging guy sounded a lot like Robert W. Morgan (though I'm not sure it was him).  I can even remember them playing Ambrosia's "Biggest Part of Me" on a Saturday afternoon (The LP version in fact).

They were WGR-FM from January 5, 1985 to sometime in 1986 when they became WRLT (We aRe LiTe). I remember their positioner was "You've Turned on The Light" or something. I thought the station was dreadful (no personality and just dull). Here are some old lineups:

http://www.billdulmage.com/skeds/buffalo/wgrf.html">https://web.archive.org/web/20040419180356/http://www.billdulmage.com/skeds/buffalo/wgrf.html