sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 8, 2019 5:59 am  #1

Newspaper readership is down, but not in Canada eh?

Yesterday I posted an article in the Wall Street Journal that spoke about the demise of small market newspapers and the overall decline of the industry, but this report shows, and shares that newspaper readership in Canada is actually on the rise and is still considered one of the most trusted sources of news for us Canucks...

Here is more on the story...

https://www.ladysmithchronicle.com/business/dont-stop-the-presses-report-finds-canadian-newspaper-readership-at-all-time-high/

What is your take? Do you read the paper every day? Is it your most trusted source for news? Curious to hear the various view points...

Cheers!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 8, 2019 8:21 am  #2

Re: Newspaper readership is down, but not in Canada eh?

stopped our Toronto Star print subscription 2-3 years ago after getting it for decades. 

but .. 

i do read the following websites daily .. Toronto Star, Globe and Mail, CNN, BBC News, NY Times & National Post.

so online has fully replaced hard copy.

May 8, 2019 9:56 am  #3

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

this report shows, and shares that newspaper readership in Canada is actually on the rise.   What is your take?    

Readership in Ladysmith/Chemainus is undoubtedly on the rise, due to it being a freebie (wraps No Frills and FreshCo flyers).    Audited numbers for real newspapers such as the National Post & Globen Mail are not so rosy 

May 8, 2019 10:44 am  #4

g121 wrote:

stopped our Toronto Star print subscription 2-3 years ago after getting it for decades. 

but .. 

i do read the following websites daily .. Toronto Star, Globe and Mail, CNN, BBC News, NY Times & National Post.

so online has fully replaced hard copy.

I haven't bought a newspaper in years though if I see a free copy at a cafe I'll certainly read it!

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram