sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 7, 2019 7:16 pm  #1

Canada's 2nd Oldest Radio Station Could Be Forced To Shut Down

It's CFRC, the 97-year-old campus outlet at Queen's University in Kingston, and those in charge say provincial funding changes have put its existence in jeopardy. 

Queen’s University radio station, Canada’s second oldest, could be forced to shut down

May 7, 2019 7:31 pm  #2

Re: Canada's 2nd Oldest Radio Station Could Be Forced To Shut Down

It's very much by design.

February 3, 2020 12:12 pm  #3

Re: Canada's 2nd Oldest Radio Station Could Be Forced To Shut Down

A follow-up to the story from May provides some new insight. Originally, the Ford government was blamed for threatening the existence of CFRC, after its "student opt out" rules were implemented. But a court struck those down, which removed the threat. Yet the station still may not survive to see its 100th birthday 24 months from now.  

Why? The answer is that once every three years, students are allowed to pick where their extra funding should go. And the campus outlet wasn't even on the list this time. The story explains that most students don't listen to the radio anymore and see no value in supporting the place. All of which comes even after the government rules were reversed.  

I learned a lot at my campus radio station. I would hate to see more of them disappear in the future. But that may be the way things are heading. 

Queen’s radio station future uncertain after student referendum