sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 1, 2019 8:58 pm  #1

D.J. Believed To Be Behind The "Paul Is Dead" Beatles Rumour Has Died

At least in this case, we know Russ Gibb is actually dead. 

Russ Gibb, Radio DJ Behind "Paul Is Dead," Has Died

Billboard Obit

I always thought it was Roby Yonge on WABC that started all this. But the site linked above insists it was the jock from Michigan who began the craziness. They put the date as Oct. 12, 1969, while the Yonge broadcast was from Oct. 21. If that's true, Gibb really deserves the credit - if that's the right word.

Gibb's broadcast:

Yonge's broadcast: 

May 1, 2019 9:13 pm  #2

Re: D.J. Believed To Be Behind The "Paul Is Dead" Beatles Rumour Has Died

Which Paul? There have been a few.

May 1, 2019 9:20 pm  #3

There's only one Paul McCartney. 

Unless of course, you believe the rumours...

May 1, 2019 9:31 pm  #4

Pish posh. The record label had numerous clone gholas developed starting in late 1966 for all of the Beatles. It was noteworthy that the first to be ready after Paul 1's unfortunate death was actually female. When Pauline was presented to the band John was so enraged he commanded Yoko to kill her on the spot.

May 1, 2019 9:36 pm  #5

How do we know it was the real Yoko?

May 2, 2019 10:01 am  #6

I have hours of "Uncle" Russ Gibb on my site. On one air check he speaks quite candidly about the station he was on, WKNR FM, as well as the main competition which was WABX FM,. A surprise for commercial radio is the fact that he says positive and negative things about both stations.

He started the Grande Ballroom which presented Detroit acts like the MC5 and Stooges as well as national and international acts like the Who and CCR. He speaks about his role as a promoter on some of the air checks and I think at least one is broadcast from the club.

He also had a role in the start of Creem magazine which was one of the best rock mags and he was a teacher. I also read a while back that he had a show on the CBC.

Anyway re the role of WKNR FM and the Paul is Dead hoax. I found these audio clips on an obscure web site and it is an interview by David Marsden with Big John Small of WKNR FM about the hoax:

Beatle Trivia and all about the "Paul is Dead" hoax!

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

May 3, 2019 12:44 pm  #7

John Small passed away in 2004. For about the last 15 years of his life he taught radio at Seneca College.He also did a weekly radio show called Blues North.I remember hearing it on Rock 95 in Barrie Ontario.I can't find it on You Tube. Does anyone here  know of a website where I can find it?

May 3, 2019 9:31 pm  #8

Norman peters wrote:

John Small passed away in 2004. For about the last 15 years of his life he taught radio at Seneca College.He also did a weekly radio show called Blues North.I remember hearing it on Rock 95 in Barrie Ontario.I can't find it on You Tube. Does anyone here  know of a website where I can find it?

Blues North seems to have disappeared from the web. The show was also on Q 107. I don't believe he is on any of the WKNR FM recordings that I have uploaded thus far ( save for commercials) but I may have tape of him at WKNR that I have not uploaded yet.

Cool Airchecks and More:

June 21, 2019 10:53 am  #9

I found some more tape of Russ Gibb unfortunately after his death. I wished I had uploaded to the site when he was alive. The tape is from 1989 on Detroit area classic rocker WCSX FM. He sounds more focused than his earlier persona on WKNR FM. The program was called Rock Chronicles and features early free form staples Jethro Tull.

Plus a bit more Carl Banis on CKFM from 1974:

Russ Gibb 1989 and Carl Banis 1974

Last edited by Fitz (June 21, 2019 10:54 am)

Cool Airchecks and More: