sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 29, 2019 9:22 pm  #1

Who Is This Odd Local Radio Spot Supposed To Be Talking To?

A lot of times in this space, you'll see someone (like yours truly) complaining about an especially irritating radio commercial. But I just heard a 30 second spot on CFRB that wasn't annoying - just bizarrely confusing. 

It was a public service announcement designed to remind people calling 911 - the emergency number - that if they don't understand English, they should just mention the tongue they do speak and they'll immediately be connected to a translator to help them. 

My question: since the spot is entirely in English, how would a person who might need that service understand what they're saying and know that this is even available? And why would they be listening to an English language radio station in the first place?

It's good that they have the different languages, and maybe I'm being too literal, but who is that commercial supposed to be talking to?

April 29, 2019 9:36 pm  #2

Re: Who Is This Odd Local Radio Spot Supposed To Be Talking To?

like those old TV commercials.... "to find out more about illiteracy, look up 'learn' in your phone book"

April 29, 2019 9:38 pm  #3

Kind of reminds me of an ad I saw on a transit bus once for learning to read.

At the time I thought it was rather ludicrous. Someone kindly pointed out to me that it's designed to make those who can read aware of such services for those who can't.

I would imagine the same concept would apply here as well. Second language speakers are being made aware that their friends and family who don't speak English can use the service and how to do it.

April 29, 2019 10:13 pm  #4

A couple thoughts...

-It's a lot easier to understand a new language, to some degree, than it is to speak it.
-Plenty of new Canadians who have trouble speaking English listen to the big local stations
-2nd generation Canadians could hear this and relay the message to their parents/aunts/uncles

Last edited by RadioAaron (April 29, 2019 10:15 pm)

April 30, 2019 10:08 am  #5

personally, i think it's a case of dumping ad dollars (by an agency and/or government)... and that includes the commercial copy. they go with the big station(s) in order to validate their purchase (based on grp's / ratings). the "message" does not come into play. the "message" would make more sense it contained a direct (and logical) call to action "if someone you know..."