sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 11, 2015 3:56 pm  #1

Whatever happened to the Oakley show?

I listen to the Oakley show in the a.m., but I find I am switching over to John Moore on 1010 more and more often.  Oakley used to have panels that brought some entertaining different opinions on topics (except that moron, Charles McVety).  Now, even 'Medium and the Message', the last panel to exist has disappeared.  The only regular contributor is the Raging Redhead, Mondays and Fridays, to talk about pizza and sports betting.  Hardly intellectual, or interesting, banter.  Dumbing down, or just bean-counters cutting content?  Either way, it's hurting the Oakley show's appeal, for me at least.

September 11, 2015 4:29 pm  #2

Re: Whatever happened to the Oakley show?

why do accountants get blamed for every economic decision?

September 11, 2015 5:40 pm  #3

The problem isn't content. The problem is Oakley himself.
Time for something new in the morning on 640. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 11, 2015 10:04 pm  #4

Well, do the panelists get an honourarium?  

If so, given what's been happening at AM640 lately, that probably answers the question.

September 12, 2015 2:10 pm  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

The problem isn't content. The problem is Oakley himself.
Time for something new in the morning on 640. 

where is Grilled.Cheese's insight on this topic?

September 13, 2015 11:52 am  #6

I listen, but sparignly.  It's tough to listen to the same callers day in and day out and already knowing their agenda and opinion before they start to speak.

I liked the old panels and guests.  It added a different dynamic to the show to break up the monotony of calls.

My radio day usually starts at 10am and ends at 1pm

September 13, 2015 3:40 pm  #7

grilled.cheese wrote:

My radio day usually starts at 10am and ends at 1pm

GOOD NEWS . . . you can now get the Top 10 @ 10:00 followed by Dale Goldhawk on FM, downtown

September 15, 2015 5:57 pm  #8

A welcome relief this morning, when Conrad Black was on, discussing current events.  Conrad may not be everyone's cup of tea, but at least he is genial, intelligent and forthright.  A darn sight more interesting than the latest on chicken wings, strippers and the trifecta at Woodbine, not there is necessarily anything wrong with that, in smaller doses.

September 18, 2015 9:22 am  #9

Charlie wrote:

A welcome relief this morning, when Conrad Black was on, discussing current events.  Conrad may not be everyone's cup of tea, but at least he is genial, intelligent and forthright.  A darn sight more interesting than the latest on chicken wings, strippers and the trifecta at Woodbine, not there is necessarily anything wrong with that, in smaller doses.

I don't think the Gambling Guy or the former (?) Lord of Cross Harbour appeal to the general public really. They're at opposite ends of the spectrum on many levels and I think both posess the dreaded tune out factor.

And because those guests tend to appeal to two vastly different socio-economic groups, I have to wonder just who the show is trying to target by having both of them as regular contributors.

September 19, 2015 2:45 pm  #10

The raging redhead usually makes me chuckle.  I like him on the show as well.