sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2020 8:08 pm  #31

Re: CFRB Nooz?

The timing of this is simply amazing to me. The reason: it was less than a week ago that I was having a conversation with an old colleague of mine about this very newscaster. He works for a major wire service and is generally appalled by what David McKee is allowed to get away with. I have to admit that I’m of the same opinion on most occasions. (And no, neither of us filed this gripe, in case you were wondering.)

That’s why this coincidence stopped me in my tracks. While I don’t disagree with McKee’s opinion about U.S. streaming services being forced by the government to air CanCon, I do concur it didn’t belong in his newscast. If you take the time to read the decision, which makes for a fascinating few minutes, you can see how badly CFRB bungled this entire complaint.

They first got the time of the newscast in question wrong, hoping it would get them off the hook by claiming the 6 PM half hour was clearly labelled "news and views." When that didn’t work and the complainant pointed out it was the 5 PM full newscast he was talking about, they had the nerve to say McKee’s sarcastic comment wasn’t actually part of the newscast, and he was just setting up a voicer by someone else. That’s a leap of logic that only one of our non-answering politicians in Ottawa could love.

Still, 'RB lost the appeal and will have to air the following announcement four times, including at least once in prime time.

“The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council has found that CFRB breached the Canadian Association of Broadcasters’ Code of Ethics and the Radio Television Digital News Association of Canada’s Code of Journalistic Ethics. In a newscast on December 17, 2019 at 5:00pm, the newsreader inserted his editorial opinion into a news report without identifying it as such. This is contrary to Clause 5 of the CAB Code and Article 2 of the RTNDA Code.”

So is this the end of Mr. High Hilarity's high jinks? Unlikely. It costs 'RB nothing to air this mea culpa and from what I’ve heard, the PD brought McKee to Toronto from CJAD when he left Montreal because he liked his style. So expect no apologies beyond the above text and the same irreverence to continue.

Jack Dennett must be turning over in his grave. Ontario’s Authoritative News Voice, indeed.   

June 3, 2020 8:36 pm  #32

And yet, their ratings didn't really suffer. GNR640 which plays it straight during their news hardly is making a dent. Look (or listen) at this from the average younger listeners POV: maybe the millennials and their target audience actually likes this. CFRB dropped its calls from their branding because the station of our grandparents is not the focus they are going for. Relax.

Do I think overt commentary belongs in a newscast? Perhaps. But it has me listening. And after all, that's what the PD wants. Mission accomplished.

June 3, 2020 9:21 pm  #33

Tickle Trunk wrote:

But it has me listening. And after all, that's what the PD wants. Mission accomplished.

Bread and circuses.

June 3, 2020 9:27 pm  #34

Tickle Trunk wrote:

maybe the millennials and their target audience actually likes this.

I'm honestly not sure how many millennials are tuning into CFRB on a regular basis, but hey, anything's possible.

June 3, 2020 10:03 pm  #35

RadioActive wrote:

Tickle Trunk wrote:

I'm honestly not sure how many millennials are tuning into CFRB on a regular basis, but hey, anything's possible.

We need to dial back the stereotypes here. That age is more informed than you think. Granted some of this influx of data comes from other sources but you'd be surprised.

Let's face it RB isn't targetted at most here. Frankly I'm not sure anyone actually likes any radio here after reading the ongoing vitriol. Sure Roger's oldie show captured some attention in its first couple of weeks and then, the critical dissection began.

But if yelling at the clouds helped anything . . . . . .

June 3, 2020 10:07 pm  #36

RadioActive wrote:

Tickle Trunk wrote:

The oldest millennials will be turning 40 next year.

Still, CFRB's path to growth in the short to medium term is staying relevant to 40-55 year olds.

June 3, 2020 10:37 pm  #37

RadioAaron wrote:

The oldest millennials will be turning 40 next year.

Still, CFRB's path to growth in the short to medium term is staying relevant to 40-55 year olds.

Exactly. That's a minimum of 30-40 years younger than most here. 👴👵😉

June 4, 2020 2:45 pm  #38

Post Media has picked up this story, which is unusual. The word "radio" rarely appears in their pages. However I think they missed the point. They've chosen to concentrate on the single complaint, while ignoring the bigger issue that the newscaster in question constantly inserts jokes, sound effects and other inappropriate content into all of his newscasts, even when the story is serious. 

David McKee, by the way, has responded to the ruling in a very small and typically sarcastic Tweet. It reads: "Just what we need...: more Beachcombers. ;)"  

And Marc Weisblott points out in his 12:36 newsletter that McKee pointedly failed to include Bell's own Crave streaming service in his criticism of forced CanCon. Interesting ommission.

Newscasters can't make sarcastic remarks about fed regulations: Ruling

June 4, 2020 5:06 pm  #39

Just heard the announcement required by the CBSC. It ran, appropriately enough, right after McKee's 5 PM news on Thursday. 

June 4, 2020 5:43 pm  #40

RadioActive wrote:

I think they missed the point. They've chosen to concentrate on the single complaint, while ignoring the bigger issue

The fidelity of reporting is not top of mind at Postmedia. 

June 4, 2020 7:18 pm  #41

Chrisphen wrote:

while ignoring the bigger issue

What is "the bigger issue"? The fact that some garage dwelling troll is wasting the toothless CBSC's time or the fact that fogies want to relive Walter Cronkite's boring and staid delivery style?

June 4, 2020 7:54 pm  #42

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

while ignoring the bigger issue

What is "the bigger issue"? The fact that some garage dwelling troll is wasting the toothless CBSC's time or the fact that fogies want to relive Walter Cronkite's boring and staid delivery style?

I agree that this was more of a nuisance complaint, but I suppose the CBSC had no choice but to deal with it. 

I don't agree that us so-called "fogies" want a "boring and staid delivery." In fact, McKee has an excellent delivery. He's a good news reader. It's the content I object to. Sorry, unless it's the occasional kicker, there's no room in a credible newscast for jokes, sound effects, rimshots, punchlines, satire or some of the other things he does. That's more for a Weekend Update on SNL or one of the CBC's endless attempts at comedy. 

It's about the proper time and place. Just like I wouldn't come to your funeral and perform a 10 minute stand-up comedy act, I don't expect shtick during stories about murders or race riots. I guess I'm just odd that way. 

Either way, it's a moot point. It's apparent that PD/Brand Director Mike Bendixen and News Director Kym Geddes (who should know better) love the guy. So I'll be going elsewhere for my local radio news. Not that I feel I'm missing anything. He's on during "The Rush," which features two prattling idiots who are always laughing hilariously at each other's lame jokes, which are never funny, so at least I don't hear him most of them time anyway. 

So enjoy Mr. McKee. And by the way. COVID-19 has killed hundreds of thousands of people. Har har! I'm sure this CFRB anchor will consider that fact an absolutely hilarious result and he'll have you rolling in the aisles as he makes fun of all those poor ol' dead people. Yep, good times...  

June 4, 2020 8:35 pm  #43

You are more than welcome to do a 10 minute or more comedy act at my funeral. In fact, I'd like several people to tell jokes at my service. I want the drinks to be flowing as well. I want to kick off on a high note 🚬 and have people falling over with laughter. "He died as he lived". That's how I roll -- with a smirk on my face and not taking... Every. Damn. Thing. So. Seriously. I would put a picture of a clown here, but they scare every last hair from my armpits. 🤡

June 6, 2020 12:02 pm  #44

The story made its way into a comment by Colby Cash in today's National Post.
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/david-mckee-canadian-broadcast-standards-council-cfrb

In terms of millennials, my son is 36 and listens to CFRB.