sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2019 4:56 pm  #1

Is radio missing out on the Seniors Market?

An interesting blog post this week, by media pundit Dick Taylor on how radio may be missing out by not connecting with the seniors market...

Here is the article...with some "graying of North America" stats...

https://dicktaylorblog.com

Chime in...is radio marketing to this market enough?  My sense is yes, in the GTA there are a few stations that cater to this demo quite well, but what else could be offered? Now small to mid size markets may be missing programming geared to this seniors segment...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 10, 2019 5:20 pm  #2

Re: Is radio missing out on the Seniors Market?

There is 740AM and Jewel and alot of older like Classical and Jazz so we have 96 and 91 for that.   I think we are fine. 

April 11, 2019 12:34 am  #3

kman wrote:

I actually think radio is missing out on the demo. slightly younger than seniors, those that grew up during the freeform and "album" era, who would now be in their 50' s to early 60's, who are still seeking out new music with classics but more than just the same 3 hits/band combined with meaningful, insightful talk.

^ I agree with this.

April 11, 2019 6:16 am  #4

markow202 wrote:

I think we are fine. 

We need a whole lot more Jesus and a lot less rock 'n roll

April 11, 2019 8:52 am  #5

kman wrote:

I actually think radio is missing out on the demo. slightly younger than seniors, those that grew up during the freeform and "album" era, who would now be in their 50' s to early 60's, who are still seeking out new music with classics but more than just the same 3 hits/band combined with meaningful, insightful talk.

What DeepTracks Channel 27 on Sirius XM, plays, and in the way they play it, unless it's changed its format since I allowed my subscription to lapse has changed, is what is needed on an OTA FM freak!

And - YES.  -  I would look to include a broader range that would include more psychedelia, progressive,  80s and 90s 'rock', but just NOT only the 'hits' of any given artist/group.

I do not have a library of mp3 files that I play in my car, or listen to while walking. I much prefer not knowing what is that is going to be played next and not walking into traffic and being killed.

Shuffle/random play features, I have found, do not work very well at all, and all too often play a given song(s) way more often than, by rights, a proper algorithm should allow to happen.

April 12, 2019 6:19 am  #6

grilled.cheese wrote:

seniors are well represented in the radio market.

don't trust anyone under sixty