sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 30, 2019 10:31 pm  #1

Buffalo Area Man Operates Oldies Station Out Of His Store

A guy in Lewiston, N.Y. is trying to give Dale Patterson's "Oh Wow: The Songs Radio Forgot" station some competition. He's started "Viva Nostalgia Radio" out of his store, and streams it through Live365. And he claims to not run the same old hits as everyone else.

"This library is so extensive, that you’ll hear every hit by The Beatles and every hit by The Rolling Stones. Every hit by Fleetwood Mac or the Beach Boys or Hall & Oates … or the Bee Gees. I’ve got 10 or 15 or 20 hits by each one. So, you’re not hearing the same hits by the same people all the time." 

And I also have a lot of a one-hit wonders. A lot of music from the ’70s that they don’t play anymore. Artists that had one hit and then they totally disappeared. I put a lot of that in, so there’s a lot of people going to say, ‘Wow; I hadn’t heard that song in 40 years,’ because a lot of stations don’t play it. And they’re great songs, and a lot of great artists that had one hit.”

Sounds familiar. But I don't think Dale needs to worry. This station focuses extensively on Lewiston, N.Y., with announcements and info about that city. So I think I"ll stick with Oh Wow for now.

Viva Nostalgia Radio debuts with Top 40, Lewiston spotlight

Hear it here. 

April 1, 2019 4:37 pm  #2

Re: Buffalo Area Man Operates Oldies Station Out Of His Store

Best of luck to him - I hope he does well. Good idea to localize it.

As for "Oh Wow", come on down, set a spell. We're the station that DOESN'T play the hits.

https://live365.com/station/Oh-Wow--The-Songs-Radio-Forgot-a68406

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram