sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2019 5:15 pm  #1

Is the new Energy (Energy 95 in Hamilton) brand that strong?

Word on Puget sound is the Energy brand might replace existing formats like Fresh, Jump etc. in more markets across Canada.

Here is the article in Puget Sound about this possibility...

https://www.pugetsoundradio.com/2019/03/26/fresh-radio-hamilton-is-done-will-others-follow/

But my question is this, is the Energy Brand that strong to warrant this switch over and re-branding?

Does it really matter? 

Personally, if I listen to Fresh, I like the format, changing over to Energy wouldn't make a big difference in my listening habits or my affinity for the new Energy brand.

What is your take? 

Does this potential re-brand get you excited?  Do you have a more positive relationship with the Energy brand?

Chime away!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 27, 2019 6:36 pm  #2

Re: Is the new Energy (Energy 95 in Hamilton) brand that strong?

Well, it's worth the usual disclaimer that it's from a PSR poster that invents scenarios and then presents them as "word is..."

Fresh Barrie recently transitioned to CHR and kept the brand. If they were going to become Energy, it would have been then. After that, there's actually only two Fresh stations left...Cornwall and Kingston. Re-branding Ottawa seems pointless. 

Makes sense to use common branding if there are national sales and promotions opportunities, or even just syndicated morning shows, but that seems unlikely with Energy.

Last edited by RadioAaron (March 27, 2019 6:38 pm)

March 27, 2019 6:40 pm  #3

RadioAaron wrote:

Well, it's worth the usual disclaimer that it's from a PSR poster that invents scenarios and then presents them as "word is..."

Fresh Barrie recently transitioned to CHR and kept the brand. If they were going to become Energy, it would have been then. After that, there's actually only two Fresh stations left...Cornwall and Kingston. Re-branding Ottawa seems pointless. 

Makes sense to use common branding if there are national sales and promotions opportunities, or even just syndicated morning shows, but that seems unlikely with Energy.

of course "fresh" barrie, CHAY FM, tried the energy brand back in the late 90s and failed miserably.  gotta love corus' program consultants.

March 27, 2019 6:48 pm  #4

I guess, in fairness, it's a whole different group of consultants now.

Don't know if the failure of the Energy network was due to CHR not being the right choice in those markets, or the lack of local content. Gotta think it was the latter though.

March 27, 2019 7:21 pm  #5

Problem is, there is no Energy felt.  

If you want to use that name, you gotta be showing some energy in the announcers and playlist.  This is not the 90s anymore where radio was king and those types of dance music/techno etc formats were in to where the name "Energy" was appropriate.

Last edited by markow202 (March 27, 2019 7:23 pm)

March 27, 2019 7:29 pm  #6

Agree completely. There's no more 'energy' in this station than the last one was actually 'fresh'. Meaningless words. They're "OK" brand names, but there's zero impact from switching between them.

March 27, 2019 8:51 pm  #7

RadioAaron wrote:

Don't know if the failure of the Energy network was due to CHR not being the right choice in those markets, or the lack of local content. Gotta think it was the latter though.

i was at CHAY just before the flip. they had huge bbm numbers when corus took over and started tweaking the easy listening format.  then, out of the blue, and with no notice, they flipped the switch from easy to energy.  they lost 100% of existing listeners without attempting to generate interest amongst potential audiences.  it was pretty pathetic and CHAY has never recovered, despite their huge coverage area.

March 27, 2019 9:00 pm  #8

Another thing to throw into the mix. Bell has a hot ac in Peterborough branded Energy. In light of the new moves at Corus, will they copyright the brand and force a change of name in Peterborough? 

March 27, 2019 10:51 pm  #9

kevjo wrote:

Another thing to throw into the mix. Bell has a hot ac in Peterborough branded Energy. In light of the new moves at Corus, will they copyright the brand and force a change of name in Peterborough? 

I doubt it. Different market. 
Sort of like how there is a Boom fm owned by Stingray and a few Boom Fm's owned by Corus.

Some stations DO change due to a similar name though.
Anyone remember CKGE? It used to be The Edge @ 94.9.
When Corus converted CFNY into Edge 102,
Power broadcasting (owner at the time) decided to go with a name change to Magic @ 94.9.
So yes, a name change does happen, but not always...

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 27, 2019 10:53 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 28, 2019 12:48 pm  #10

splunge wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

i was at CHAY just before the flip. they had huge bbm numbers when corus took over and started tweaking the easy listening format.  then, out of the blue, and with no notice, they flipped the switch from easy to energy.  they lost 100% of existing listeners without attempting to generate interest amongst potential audiences.  it was pretty pathetic and CHAY has never recovered, despite their huge coverage area.

Legendary station when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s at the cottage in Huronia area.  Waste of a great signal right now.....same with 95.3

March 28, 2019 5:44 pm  #11

kman wrote:

"Energy" is definitely not as strong a brand as it was when Skot Turner was at the helm. However it's certainly better than the "Fresh" brand. Like really "Fresh" what is this a bakery or something? I'll never understand why they didn't just update the Vinyl format, Vinyl was 2nd place in the Hamilton market and had a 3% share in Toronto. Fresh was at the bottom of the Hamilton and Toronto ratings.

I miss Vinyl too. When 95.3 was running the promos last week with the girl saying,"Oops, I hit the Wham! button by mistake!", I was hoping that might mean a return to Vinyl. I guess that's why they call them teasers. 

PJ   

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

March 28, 2019 5:54 pm  #12

Paul Jeffries wrote:

kman wrote:

"Energy" is definitely not as strong a brand as it was when Skot Turner was at the helm. However it's certainly better than the "Fresh" brand. Like really "Fresh" what is this a bakery or something? I'll never understand why they didn't just update the Vinyl format, Vinyl was 2nd place in the Hamilton market and had a 3% share in Toronto. Fresh was at the bottom of the Hamilton and Toronto ratings.

I miss Vinyl too. When 95.3 was running the promos last week with the girl saying,"Oops, I hit the Wham! button by mistake!", I was hoping that might mean a return to Vinyl. I guess that's why they call them teasers. 

PJ   

Vinyl format also suited that area/market.  That type of format does well because its nostalgic to many people.  Look at Boom 973 and its ratings..

March 28, 2019 7:41 pm  #13

I guess I can confess this here: I almost never listen to anything on FM in this city, with the exception of two or three shows on CBC (which is, after all, an AM station that migrated to better mono fidelity). There's just nothing there I'm interested in. Obviously I'm out of the desired demos, although it seems like every single station couldn't care less about someone like me. 

That said, Vinyl was one of the few stations on that band that I tuned into during its brief existence. And like many here, I miss its presence.

Now having made that confession, here's another one - it really irritates me that car radios offer FM1 & FM2 - but only one choice for AM. I wish it was the other way around. How can I put CKNT on my presets when I only have five to choose from?

It drives me crazy. (And as I've often said here, that's not a very long drive!)

March 28, 2019 11:31 pm  #14

Chuck99 wrote:

Too often formats skew older and are less desirable for advertisers.  That may have been why the Vinyl format was dropped.  Otherwise, it made no sense to flip to Hot AC if Vinyl was number 2 in the ratings in Hamilton.

This now means that Corus has experienced both ends of the spectrum. 
Energy London couldn't stick around because the audience was too young.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 29, 2019 10:09 am  #15

RadioActive wrote:

How can I put CKNT on my presets when I only have five to choose from? 

SOWNY contributors are well-known for strong opinions so if you list your current AM pre-sets, you are bound to receive recommendations on which to drop in order to accommodate CKNT 

March 29, 2019 4:41 pm  #16

Radiowiz wrote:

kevjo wrote:

I doubt it. Different market. 
Sort of like how there is a Boom fm owned by Stingray and a few Boom Fm's owned by Corus.

Except that Corus also has a FRESH station in Peterborough so if a rebranding is on the way, obviously it couldn't be to ENERGY.