sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 26, 2019 9:32 pm  #1

Corus Has Drex - On KMOX

I have to admit I've never stayed up late enough to listen to Justin Wilcomes, aka Drex, the overnight guy on the Corus Radio Network, heard locally here on GNR 640. But I keep hearing promos for him "hooking up" weekly with a U.S. radio station, in this case, KMOX, St. Louis. 

I'm always curious about these weird tie-ins. How in the world did a guy on an overnight show in B.C. wind up sharing airtime with the 50K flame thrower at 1120 AM? It seems an unusual pairing and I have no idea what they talk about or have in common.

Does anyone know how this odd couple came to be? 

March 27, 2019 10:21 am  #2

Re: Corus Has Drex - On KMOX

I have no idea how they hooked up but I have heard one exchange between the two.
The KMOX host was asking about the Lavscam story saying he wanted to be better informed.
Drex took about 3 minutes or more to fill in the background while the U.S. host was a good listener.
I found their interaction somewhat forced.  
Maybe time & repetition will smooth things out.

March 27, 2019 10:39 am  #3

Eventually, I'm going to stay up and hear this. Is there a specific day of the week and a specific hour that it happens? I can't imagine it goes on for the whole show. 

March 27, 2019 11:18 am  #4

Weekly or random schedule for this? I don't know.

I think they talked for about ten minutes or so. 

It's live so I guess it  has the potential to be edgy.

Drex likes to cuss on air but doubt he does so while appearing on KMOX

March 27, 2019 2:16 pm  #6

There you go...

EDIT: Here it is in a dramatically shortened URL - http://tinyurl.com/yxk5fznw

NOTE: Looks like the link is too long for SOWNY's forum software. Notice how some of the link is not highlighted? Highlight the ENTIRE list of characters below and paste it into your browser.

[url]https://21133.mc.tritondigital.com/OMNY_OVERNIGHTAMERICA_P/media-session/8a46fae4-fe69-4727-aa35-5c432de5df32/d/clips/4b5f9d6d-9214-48cb-8455-a73200038129/431fe358-8d94-45d7-848f-a78e00b65e1a/05b54a6d-1709-4e49-9325-aa170078dff3/audio/direct/t1553152985/Drex,_Ghosts_Hunting,_and_New_Zealand.mp3[/url]

Last edited by Dial Twister (March 27, 2019 4:54 pm)

March 27, 2019 10:03 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I have to admit I've never stayed up late enough to listen to Justin Wilcomes, aka Drex, the overnight guy on the Corus Radio Network, heard locally here on GNR 640. But I keep hearing promos for him "hooking up" weekly with a U.S. radio station, in this case, KMOX, St. Louis. 

I'm always curious about these weird tie-ins. How in the world did a guy on an overnight show in B.C. wind up sharing airtime with the 50K flame thrower at 1120 AM? It seems an unusual pairing and I have no idea what they talk about or have in common.

Does anyone know how this odd couple came to be? 

Hey there!

Ryan Wrecker was a listener of our show, and I was a listener of his podcast, I also followed him on Twitter. He approached me about doing a simulcast just for fun one night, we tried it, and it was great so we decided after a few more times that we'd do it weekly. We now simulcast every Tuesday night/Wednesday Morning. We talk about politics or food, or whatever is in the news that day. 

And to unclefester: Yes, I mind my mouth while on KMOX. 

cheers,
Drex

March 27, 2019 11:32 pm  #8

Nice to have you on the board. Hope you'll be a regular! And thanks for the answer. I listened to the link above and I found it pretty entertaining.

March 28, 2019 12:03 am  #9

drex wrote:

And to unclefester: Yes, I mind my mouth while on KMOX. 

cheers,
Drex

Thanks

I enjoy your program

Continued success

Last edited by unclefester (March 28, 2019 12:06 am)

March 28, 2019 1:16 am  #10

Thanks, 

It's a fun show to put together, Not a lot of rules... they let us experiment and just have fun with it. 

Thanks for tuning in. It's appreciated. 

April 9, 2019 8:26 am  #11

Heard Drex say this morning that he will be speaking with his counterpart in the second hour of tonight's show.

April 9, 2019 8:25 pm  #12

Yep. 2am Eastern. Ryan will join us Live.
He has proposed a friendly wager for the Jets/Blues series. (we also air in Winnipeg) 

April 17, 2019 1:35 pm  #13

And our Jets came back to life last night... albeit in overtime.  Are the Blues feeling a little nervous as this series resets to a best of 3?

WHITEOUT!