sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 25, 2019 3:42 pm  #1

A "Streaming" Pile Of TV: Apple Introduces Its Own TV Service

Apple has joined Netflix, Hulu, CBS, NBC, Amazon, Disney, Crave, and way too many others to start its own streaming TV service. How much it will cost and whether Canadians can get it is TBD, although they've said it will be available in more than 100 countries. 

Personally, I'm getting tired of these endless services, which can total more than your weekly paycheque if you subscribe to them all. I've said it before but it deserves repeating: there was a time, not so long ago, that TV was free to watch. I wonder for how much longer. 

Apple's Streaming Service: Here's Everything That Was Announced

Ironic, in a way, that Steven Spielberg is involved, after he openly decried Netflix movies qualifying for an Oscar when they never played in an actual theatre.  

March 25, 2019 5:34 pm  #2

Re: A "Streaming" Pile Of TV: Apple Introduces Its Own TV Service

All of the Original TV Series Coming to Apple's Streaming Service

Last edited by RadioActive (March 25, 2019 5:35 pm)

March 25, 2019 7:33 pm  #3

I’m in

Bell

Rogers

You did it to yourselves

March 25, 2019 8:03 pm  #4

The problem is that even if you cut the cord and don't subscribe to CraveTV or cable/satellite, you're likely still going to be slightly beholden to either Bell or Rogers because they control so much of Canada's Internet access. So you can get Apple TV, but all that data will probably still accrue a bill from either of the Big Two.

That's one of the problems when you let so few companies control both programming and the only way to get access to it.

Even if you try to avoid them, it's tough. I'm on Teksavvy and am very happy with them overall. But they pay a fee to access Bell lines, so even though I try not to give a dime to the Terrible Telco, some of my money goes to them regardless. And if I want web access at home, I really don't have much choice.   

March 26, 2019 2:52 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I'm on Teksavvy and am very happy with them overall. But they pay a fee to access Bell lines, so even though I try not to give a dime to the Terrible Telco, some of my money goes to them regardless. And if I want web access at home, I really don't have much choice.   

I thought TekSavy was with Rogers. Oh well, anyway, according to Wiki, it also depends on where you are:
"However, in parts of rural southwestern Ontario, the service is provided over TekSavvy's own fixed wireless network (branded as "Sky Fi").

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 26, 2019 2:52 am  #6

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 26, 2019 7:28 am  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I'm on Teksavvy and am very happy with them overall. But they pay a fee to access Bell lines, so even though I try not to give a dime to the Terrible Telco, some of my money goes to them regardless. And if I want web access at home, I really don't have much choice.   

I thought TekSavy was with Rogers. Oh well, anyway, according to Wiki, it also depends on where you are:
"However, in parts of rural southwestern Ontario, the service is provided over TekSavvy's own fixed wireless network (branded as "Sky Fi").

Teksavvy accesses the web through agreements with all the major providers. In my case, it's DSL not cable, so that means it's peripherally Bell. I know this for a fact because in the past decade or more I've been with them, there were two outages.

The techs at Teksavvy told me they had to call Bell to fix the issue. The first time I waited days and days for anything, after the provider told me Bell was in no hurry to help customers who weren't directly with them. The second time things improved to less than a day, because Teksavvy complained bitterly to the authorities about such deliberate neglect and the giant telco was forced to be more responsible.

So yeah, l'm well aware Bell plays a role in my web access, however distantly. I wish it wasn't the case, but as noted, if you want to be online in this part of Canada, there really isn't a lot of choice between the Big Two.