sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 18, 2019 3:39 pm  #1

Where Most Of Those Radio Talk Show Topics Come From

I used to joke that if there was ever a newspaper strike in the city, all the talk radio shows in the market would grind to a screeching halt.

A lot of what they use is from the struggling newspapers and it's certainly understandable. Radio folk don't have the time to investigate anything in depth (CFRB's slogan about "in depth radio" notwithstanding.)

That has long been the purview of the so-called "ink stained wretches," and for the most part, they do it quite well and are able to give some of their reporters days to research and write a story. Radio and TV types have to fill their airtime everyday and it's enough just getting a show on the air, let alone trying to do any investigative reporting.  

Now an actual newspaper editor has taken up the same issue, wondering how much of their stuff is "stolen" without credit - and even noting some of it is used verbatim on air without referencing the source. 

"Reporters painstakingly research an issue, investigate allegations, write a careful article, break news ... and as soon as it's published it's somehow free to anyone who comes across it.

"Sometimes they are good enough to credit the originator; other times not so much."

Hamilton Spectator: Is that radio newscaster simply reading the newspaper?

March 19, 2019 8:31 am  #2

Re: Where Most Of Those Radio Talk Show Topics Come From

"Stealing content is a victimless crime, like punching someone in the dark."  

Sorry Grilled Cheese, but it is not.   It is in fact plagerism.  It is an offence that at one time would get you fired, and because of the seriousness of the offence likely end your career.
What I would do in past would be to follow up on the newspaper story, get an audio clip from someone involved in the story,  or try and include at least one more piece of information that was not included in the newspaper story.
I still felt a little dirty because to my mind it really is stealing the work of someone else, but at least by following up and doing some leg work myself I could sleep at night.
And I was working as the sole gate keeper in the newsroom for 3 different stations, but right is right.

March 19, 2019 10:42 am  #3

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

I still felt a little dirty because to my mind it really is stealing the work of someone else  . . . working as the sole gate keeper in the newsroom for 3 different stations   

You obviously are a more honorable individual than is Grilled.Cheese, a person without a shred of respectability.    By the way what are those three stations?     I've had it with copy-cat reporting.    That's why I trust only the Globe & Mail.

March 19, 2019 10:57 am  #4

Thank you for your kind words Ms. C.    Although I am now out of the business and in semi-retirement, I still do enjoy the anonymity of this forum.
I will say it was 2 stations in one market and a third in a nearby community outside of the GTA owned by one of the major corporations.   These stations no longer have a news department, thus my earlier than planned semi-retirement.

March 19, 2019 11:14 am  #5

You are right LocalNewsGuy.   Once the story hits CP, or BN, because we paid for the service it was fair game.   No different than when we would get a story no one else in the market had, I would file to BN after our initial broadcast knowing full well that other stations in our market had access to it.   No credit required.