sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2019 5:05 pm  #1

Well, this will spark debate...Who has the best voice? Men or Women?

Fred Jacobs blog today asks? Who has the better voice? Men or women?

I tend to gravitate towards men...but there are some women that rock it too...

What says you Big Yellow?

Here is the story/blog post from earlier today!

https://jacobsmedia.com/who-has-the-best-voice-a-man-or-a-woman/

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 15, 2019 6:23 pm  #2

Re: Well, this will spark debate...Who has the best voice? Men or Women?

I think it all depends on the context.

When listening to the news, I want the big, authoritative “leader among men” pipes to instil confidence that the story being told is the full truth - that the reporter had the balls to ask tough question and move past rhetoric and spin (think Dave McKee on 1010 or the late Mark Dailey)

When it comes to my digital device, I like a warmer, friendlier female tone to assist with whatever it is I’m working on.

And I when it comes to comedy, I want the aloof / funny “beta male” sound that isn’t taking the situation too seriously (ie:  Jamie Watts voicing Comedy Network promos)

No one voice is better “overall” - just better suited to the situation at hand.

Last edited by Nate (March 15, 2019 6:28 pm)

March 15, 2019 6:27 pm  #3

No.

March 15, 2019 7:23 pm  #4

Chrisphen wrote:

No.

Politician? 

April 7, 2019 6:26 am  #5

Charlie wrote:

Male or female matters not.  Intelligence, intuition and reason matter most 

John Derringer, John Moore & John Oakley are reasonably intelligent, reasonably intuitive and reasonably reasonable.    The Johns have it

April 7, 2019 10:36 am  #6

Charlie wrote:

Male or female matters not.  Intelligence, intuition and reason matter most, and not saying 'Y'know' every 5 seconds helps, too.  That narrows down the competition.

Agreed. That unfortunately rules out several voices currently on the waves.

If you are only talking the timbre of their sound and not the timber of their ideas, I nominate these ladies and gentlemen:

Peter Gzowski
Joe Côté
Mark Daly (OK he was TV but still, that voice)
Mark Elliott
Avril Benoît
Mary Hines
Nora Young
John Moore
Steve Anthony

I guess it is just too whimsical but I really wish I could put Lou Schizas and Cam Stewart on this list because I could listen to either one of them all day long talking about absolutely any subject under the sun. They both had such fabulous voices and inimitable, nonchalant, deadpan, hilarious delivery. The five minutes at the end of Oakley on a Friday with the two of them was the best five minutes of radio in any given week.

April 7, 2019 12:32 pm  #7

milton wrote:

I really wish I could put Lou Schizas and Cam Stewart on this list because I could listen to either one of them all day long talking about absolutely any subject under the sun. They both had such fabulous voices and inimitable, nonchalant, deadpan, hilarious delivery. The five minutes at the end of Oakley on a Friday with the two of them was the best five minutes of radio in any given week.   

We can't always get what we want . . . 

April 7, 2019 2:10 pm  #8

milton wrote:

Charlie wrote:

Male or female matters not.  Intelligence, intuition and reason matter most, and not saying 'Y'know' every 5 seconds helps, too.  That narrows down the competition.

If you are only talking the timbre of their sound and not the timber of their ideas, I nominate these ladies and gentlemen:

Peter Gzowski
Joe Côté
Mark Elliott
Avril Benoît
Mary Hines
Nora Young
John Moore
Steve Anthony

I guess it is just too whimsical but I really wish I could put Lou Schizas and Cam Stewart on this list because I could listen to either one of them all day long talking about absolutely any subject under the sun. They both had such fabulous voices and inimitable, nonchalant, deadpan, hilarious delivery. The five minutes at the end of Oakley on a Friday with the two of them was the best five minutes of radio in any given week.

shit, how could I forget Peter Shurman. One of the greatest throats to grace our waves as long as I can remember.

It is tempting to compile a worst list as well, but that would be mean-spirited. And the honourees could be lurking on this board. But the list would be a long one.

April 7, 2019 7:11 pm  #9

milton wrote:

milton wrote:

Charlie wrote:

Peter Gzowski
Joe Côté
Mark Elliott
Avril Benoît
Mary Hines
Nora Young
John Moore
Steve Anthony

shit, how could I forget Peter Shurman. One of the greatest throats to grace our waves as long as I can remember.

It is tempting to compile a worst list as well, but that would be mean-spirited. And the honourees could be lurking on this board. But the list would be a long one.

Many great voices and probably some more obvious ones are being left out. I would like to throw David Kaye and Dani Ellwell on the list.