sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2019 9:08 am  #1

95.3 Fresh FM

Darren Laidman [ Big D ]did his last morning show yesterday, said change is coming and he decided to pull the plug...anyone hear what Fresh FM might have planned?

Talk to the hand!

March 15, 2019 12:19 pm  #2

Re: 95.3 Fresh FM

For what it's worth, Corus just re-entered the station into the Toronto ratings for the first time in a few years.

March 15, 2019 5:37 pm  #3

Was it his choice? And is his co-host Colleen gone as well?

Just checked the Fresh FM website, and their picture is gone from the "Shows" page. Checking their Twitter pages, both of them (and their producer) don't update very often, so no details from Twitter. Twitter is the only social media I have, so that's it.

I've never listened to Fresh Radio. I was a fan when it was Country 95.3. Colleen was morning co-host then, but let go when they became Vinyl 95.3, and returned when Fresh FM arrived. Not that it matters much to me, I mostly listen to KX94.7 for my country fix.

March 15, 2019 5:48 pm  #4

I dont know...cant anyone in this market do what they do up north in cottage country such as Moose FM's format?   80s up until today?  

Then again CHFI is technically doing this (although more slower paced music) and it works.  

Last edited by markow202 (March 15, 2019 5:49 pm)

March 15, 2019 5:54 pm  #5

from our buddie scott fybush nerw:

Is a format change imminent down the road in Hamilton? Over at RadioInsight, Lance Venta’s keen eye for domain registrations has turned up a new one for “Energy 95.3,” which would be a return of that rhythmic top-40 format in place of AC “Fresh” at Corus’ CING (95.3).

March 15, 2019 6:06 pm  #6

arc23 wrote:

Is a format change imminent down the road in Hamilton? Over at RadioInsight, Lance Venta’s keen eye for domain registrations has turned up a new one for “Energy 95.3,” which would be a return of that rhythmic top-40 format in place of AC “Fresh” at Corus’ CING (95.3).

Hmmm...if they do that it won't be anything like the original energy. The move from Energy 108 to Energy 95.3 did absolutely nothing for them.
Or...did a music test suggest that the "too young" crowd has grown up? (ie Energy London issues back in the day)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 15, 2019 6:25 pm  #7

I liked the former format... VINYL 95.3

March 15, 2019 7:11 pm  #8

arc23 wrote:

I can't find any of them. The only registered combination of Energy and 953 is energy953.com, belonging an established US station.

I wouldn't count on a re-brand. Their messaging is exactly the same as when they turfed their morning show in Ottawa and replaced them with a show from Seattle. Bet it's the same thing (and same show) here.

They recently transitioned Barrie's FRESH to CHR and kept the brand, so a music tweak may happen at 95.3 at the same time.

Last edited by RadioAaron (March 15, 2019 7:14 pm)

March 15, 2019 9:04 pm  #9

RadioAaron wrote:

I wouldn't count on a re-brand. Their messaging is exactly the same as when they turfed their morning show in Ottawa and replaced them with a show from Seattle. Bet it's the same thing (and same show) here.

They recently transitioned Barrie's FRESH to CHR and kept the brand, so a music tweak may happen at 95.3 at the same time.

If the Seattle morning show is restricted to a CHR audience, then why not toss that same show on CHAY & 95.3, flip CHAY & 95.3 to Jump and call it a day?

March 15, 2019 9:13 pm  #10

It's not at all restricted to a CHR audience; it just may make sense to pair it with that format on 95.3.

As for CHAY, they have re-branded both stations so many times in that market, it's best to keep the brand going. When you have one book a year, you have to manage your credibility with clients -- you can position this as a tweak or evolution, rather than a "here we go again" response that a re-brand would illicit. 

Jump isn't their CHR brand. They don't really have one in the way that Bell and Rogers do.

March 16, 2019 4:25 pm  #11

RadioAaron wrote:

Jump isn't their CHR brand. They don't really have one in the way that Bell and Rogers do.

Yeah, well, claiming to be all hit radio 95.3 fresh FM and throwing in some classic Britney Spears
(this morning around 8:30 or so)
is not exactly a true hit music station either. A true hit music station never plays music that is more than 5 years old unless it is in a current movie or something.