sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 14, 2019 5:53 pm  #1

What The Hell Is This Radio Commercial Talking About?

There have been lots of threads here over the years about terrible radio commercials (many of them from yours truly.) But there’s one running now that’s not terrible per se so much as it’s completely incomprehensible. At least to me.

It’s that 30 sec. piece for something called “Joey AI,” where the AI stands for Artificial Intelligence. Perhaps I’m too old or just a Luddite, but every time I hear this spot, I wind up trying to figure out what they’re talking about - perhaps the exact worst thing an ad could do. It appears to be a service that helps a company upgrade to automated systems, which of course means firing existing staff – although they would never say that.

To further my curiosity, I went to their website and it left me more confused than ever. Take this copy from the site, which talks about “transitioning” a business into a “digital powerhouse.”

“This is accomplished by architecting each organization’s Digital Journey and implementing it to greatest effect, in both bottom line and your business’s culture.”

What the hell are they talking about? And yes, they used the word “architecting,” which isn’t really a word last I checked.

I’ve been highly critical of spots like those provided by Tom Mihalik. While I can’t listen to his droning on, at least I know what he’s selling. In the case of these guys and their bafflegab, I’m still not sure. Which, in its zeal to appear modern and sci fi-like, makes it a highly ineffective spot in my mind. 

Joey AI? More like Joey Ay Yi Yi!

March 14, 2019 6:30 pm  #2

Re: What The Hell Is This Radio Commercial Talking About?

RadioActive wrote:

In the case of these guys and their bafflegab, I’m still not sure. Which, in its zeal to appear modern and sci fi-like, makes it a highly ineffective spot in my mind. 

No doubt they'll be the next tech billionaires. 

March 14, 2019 8:23 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Which, in its zeal to appear modern and sci fi-like, makes it a highly ineffective spot in my mind. 

I've got it filed under 'If you don't get it, you're not the target." (I don't get it.) I have a friend in the AI business, and as I understand it, a single new customer could make the entire campaign worthwhile.

March 14, 2019 9:41 pm  #4

I saw this header, and KNEW it had to be about 'Joey AI', what an absolutely godawful ad with what must be the WORST TAGLINE EVER: "welcome to the machine."

Last edited by betaylored (March 14, 2019 11:27 pm)