sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 12, 2019 3:57 pm  #1

Is this responsible journalism? My take is no way GNR640

I was listening to Alan Carter on GNR640 at noon and they were railing against Morgan Reilly (The Leaf Defenseman) who allegedly used a homophobic slur in last nights game against Tampa.

Callers were irate (for and against what might have happened or been said). People wanted Morgan to pay, with a suspension and with dollars if he was in fact guilty. It got to a point I couldn't listen to this any more, because in my books it is speculative at best.

Then as I jumped over to 680 News, the 12:45 sports report announced that after an NHL investigation, that Morgan Reilly didn't even say anything homophobic and the case was closed.

My question is this, should media and news talk radio, wait until the paint dries before speculating on ones guilt?

I say yes...wait, there are other more pressing issues than a hockey player possibly saying something nasty in the heat of a hockey game.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-determines-maple-leafs-morgan-rielly-didnt-utter-homophobic-slur/

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 12, 2019 4:25 pm  #2

Re: Is this responsible journalism? My take is no way GNR640

I remember years ago watching CNN and it appeared they had solved the case of JonBenét Patricia Ramsey. All the so-called experts had the guy convicted and executed. But he wasn't guilty - it was a false lead. They never mentioned it again but they got what they wanted - ratings points. The truth doesn't matter.

Another time CNN had this big buildup to this tsunami that was going to rock Japan. They were live and building it up like it was Armageddon. But then the weather guy came on and said the tsunami was only eight millimetres high - enough to maybe get the bottom of your shoe wet. They sheepishly moved on to other things.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 12, 2019 5:10 pm  #3

Dale Patterson wrote:

I remember years ago watching CNN and it appeared they had solved the case of JonBenét Patricia Ramsey. All the so-called experts had the guy convicted and executed. But he wasn't guilty - it was a false lead. They never mentioned it again but they got what they wanted - ratings points. The truth doesn't matter.

Another time CNN had this big buildup to this tsunami that was going to rock Japan. They were live and building it up like it was Armageddon. But then the weather guy came on and said the tsunami was only eight millimetres high - enough to maybe get the bottom of your shoe wet. They sheepishly moved on to other things.

This just about says it all.

March 12, 2019 5:40 pm  #4

As a bit of an aside, Canada's news industry in a nutshell:
Plane crashes somewhere else? Sigh. Get the intern to cover it.
Plane crashes somewhere else but some victims were Canadian? WAKE EVERYONE. WE NEED TOTAL COVERAGE.

March 12, 2019 7:02 pm  #5

Charlie wrote:

I kept expecting George Costanza in a Leafs jersey to jump up, yelling "My FATHER's Gay!"

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

March 13, 2019 12:01 am  #6

I didn't hear Alan Carter's show, and after reading about the way it went down, am glad I didn't. Responsible reporting, no way. Herd mentality, yup...

By the time Tuesday afternoon ended, more than a couple of media people who initially made a lot of outraged noise about what Morgan didn't say, apologized, or at least admitted on social media that they were ready to believe the worst.

"Rag it!" Two short, and as it's turned out, not so simple words.

Last edited by betaylored (March 13, 2019 12:50 am)

March 13, 2019 11:59 am  #7

Sad but true..." Never let the facts get in the way of a good story !"