sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 11, 2019 9:43 pm  #1

Is This The New Normal For Alex Pierson On 640?

Her show now starts at 6:30 PM. I noticed tonight that they repeated the first half hour in the last half hour, at 9:30 PM. Unless something happened to her that they didn't announce, it's literally a reroll inside of a live show! At one point, she said "we'll be talking more about this at 8 o'clock." Problem is it was 9:42 when she said it. There was no on air notice that it was a repeat. 

They also recorded a mini-goodnight, see you tomorrow extro that ran at the end, that was clearly tacked on.

Have they been doing this since her program changed time? 

March 11, 2019 10:03 pm  #2

Re: Is This The New Normal For Alex Pierson On 640?

It just got even stranger. They took the top of the hour news out of B.C. at 10 PM, let him read a story, then interrupted with a local newscast out of Toronto.  

March 11, 2019 11:17 pm  #3

Mike Stafford said in passing last Friday that they (GNR am640) have been carrying on without a PD since theirs departed a couple of weeks ago. With this in mind, the less than stellar reroll nonsense of Alex's show, and other shenanigans makes strange sense.

Add that Peter Shurman filled in for John Oakley who was under the weather Monday, and Stafford and Supriya have alternated taking time off last and this week due to illness as well, and it's a bit Edgar Allan Poe's 'The System of Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether'* over at am640 these days...

*see 'Tales of Mystery and Imagination' by the Alan Parsons Project ;)

March 12, 2019 12:43 pm  #4

betaylored wrote:

Mike Stafford said in passing last Friday that they (GNR am640) have been carrying on without a PD since theirs departed a couple of weeks ago.  

Can I ask the name of the PD who departed?

March 12, 2019 9:37 pm  #5

It appears the answer to my original question about the 'new normal' is "yes." They reran the first half hour again Tuesday as the last half hour of the show. So while they start her early in their revamped schedule, the show remains at 3 hours in length.

Why not just air Global National at 6:30 PM after the local TV simulcast and then start her at 7 like before? It makes more sense than this. 

March 12, 2019 11:42 pm  #6

unclefester wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Mike Stafford said in passing last Friday that they (GNR am640) have been carrying on without a PD since theirs departed a couple of weeks ago.  

His name is Nathan Smith, the farewell tweet from Stafford was back on February 1rst. I believe he (Nathan) is working in radio in London, ON now.

That's a good length of time for 640 to be without a PD. Or maybe not... 🙄

March 13, 2019 10:21 am  #7

betaylored wrote:

unclefester wrote:

betaylored wrote:

His name is Nathan Smith   . I believe he is working in radio in London, ON now.

That's who I was thinking of. Thanks for confirming.

March 13, 2019 11:53 am  #8

You're welcome unclefester.

Ed Keenan is filling in for Alan Carter on GNR am640 today... whiskey tango foxtrot, what's up with the management still currently in place there, because that's a funny way to build on their recent ratings success. Who is steering good ship GNR right now?*

see:'autonomous collective' Monty Python style

March 13, 2019 8:12 pm  #9

Carter said yesterday he was off the rest of the week to take his kids to Blue Mountain to ski. 

March 14, 2019 12:07 am  #10

mic'em wrote:

Carter said yesterday he was off the rest of the week to take his kids to Blue Mountain to ski. 

shoal must be nice ;)

all Captain Kidding aside, tc143's right, they've got their new lineup on board, and it's not uncommon for parents to take March break off work to spend time with the family.

Last edited by betaylored (March 14, 2019 12:24 am)