sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 3, 2019 10:07 am  #1

What Do John Lennon & Roger Ailes Have In Common? These A&E Specials

There are two media/music related specials coming up on A&E that some here may find of interest. The first begins airing on Sunday. It's called "Divide & Conquer: The Story Of Roger Ailes," and traces the rise and very hard fall of the political operative who launched Fox News on the world.

The network describes it as a doc that "fuses the personal, the political and the just plain surreal, as it charts the origin, rise and downfall of Fox News chairman and CEO Roger Ailes...He collected talent like dolls and became consumed by paranoia about his own personal security."

It airs at 9 PM and again at midnight.

Then later on this month, as Monty Python might say, it's something "completely different," This one is called "John & Yoko: Above Us Only Sky," and it airs on March 11th. The show outlines the recording of the "Imagine" LP and features interviews with Yoko Ono, Julian Lennon and others, including many who have never spoken publicly before.

John & Yoko: Above Us Only Sky

March 3, 2019 12:50 pm  #2

Re: What Do John Lennon & Roger Ailes Have In Common? These A&E Specials

By the way, just noticed this:

WNED is airing "Dick van Dyke: A Celebration," a special on the legendary actor/comedian, on Monday night at 9:30 PM. Includes the entire cast of The Dick Van Dyke Show, with Mary Tyler Moore, Carl Reiner, Morey Amsterdam, Rose Marie and Dick Van Dyke, as well as a look at his movie roles. 

March 3, 2019 2:15 pm  #3

I got very close to a radio interview with van Dyke in the early 80s, but when I mentioned that I wanted to ask him, however briefly, about his fight with alcoholism, his handlers refused to arrange it.

What a shame, That would have been a real thrill and it would have only been such a small part of the questions I might have asked him. 

Anyway, I'm glad to see he beat that terrible disease and is still with us - and still acting - late into his 90s! 

March 3, 2019 2:49 pm  #4

I believe he addressed it in his book, "My Lucky Life," but I read it a long time ago and can't quite remember. 

I don't own a lot of DVDs but the boxed set of the Dick van Dyke Show is one I sprung for many years ago. In addition to having every great episode, the so-called bonus tracks are what makes it worth the money. On each disc, there are two or three selected shows that feature Carl Reiner and van Dyke watching in a recording studio and commenting on their memories of making it, what they were thinking at the time, bits of business that van Dyke added, why Reiner wrote it the way he did and more.

I only wish they'd done it for every single show!

Of course if you don't want to buy the DVD, there are still a zillion places to watch this groundbreaking series. I''m not sure if it's every single one, but YouTube boasts at least 200 or so episodes from the six seasons. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHStKXuBzlM&list=PL_QPPcZlYgRcWCfcz5KGRklLb9pvV7Gv1

And Tubitv.com has at least the first season, all available for free. (This is great little site that also offers almost every season of rarely seen TV shows, including ALF, 3rd Rock From The Sun and my favourite, the long un-rerun "The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis," not to mention the astoundingly wonderful and long forgotten genius pioneer of early TV, Ernie Kovacs.)  

https://tubitv.com/series/83/the_dick_van_dyke_show_the_series

https://tubitv.com/category/tv_comedies   

March 21, 2019 5:56 pm  #5

The Dick van Dyke show will live on a lot longer than just on TV. The scripts - including hand written dialogue changes from creator Carl Reiner - are being digitized for posterity by a museum called The National Comedy Centre, located in Jamestown, N.Y.

For those of us who love this classic, it's fascinating to see what they might have said before the changes were made. 

National Comedy Center, Carl Reiner Announce Preservation of Historic “Dick Van Dyke Show” Archive