sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2019 11:32 pm  #1

What makes a great Top 40 station, CHUM-AM got a nod as a great top 40

Here is a pretty good list of what makes a Great Top 40 station and then a list of 20 of the best Top 40 radio stations...most are American, but closer to home CHUM FM got the nod, and so did Buffalo's WKBW...

Enjoy the read, and as always, feel free to comment and add your thoughts!

https://radioink.com/2017/08/21/greatest-top-40-stations-time/

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 24, 2019 2:00 am  #2

Re: What makes a great Top 40 station, CHUM-AM got a nod as a great top 40

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Here is a pretty good list of what makes a Great Top 40 station and then a list of 20 of the best Top 40 radio stations...most are American, but closer to home CHUM FM got the nod, and so did Buffalo's WKBW...

They are referring to CHUM-AM, not CHUM-FM.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 24, 2019 5:51 am  #3

Dale Patterson wrote:

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

They are referring to CHUM-AM, not CHUM-FM.

That's exactly right. The subject line should be corrected. 
Chum FM was never a hit music station.

Also to consider: Z 100.
There could have been a top 40 on FM a lot sooner in Canada, but the CRTC just had to protect AM radio.
The 49% non hit rule meant that 680 CFTR and AM 640 were the stations where people had to go to get their (Canadian) hit music fix until the non hit rule was put to rest in the mid 90's.

It's amazing CFTR and AM 640 lasted as long as they did as hit music stations. 
With a good antenna one could easily pick up both WKSE and Magic 102 in the 80's and early 90's.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 24, 2019 8:24 am  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

With a good antenna one could easily pick up both WKSE and Magic 102 in the 80's and early 90's.

Funny though.  As great as Rock 102 sounded in the early 80s, I still enjoyed CKOC and CFTR to a lesser extent.
I am surprised that CFTR didn't make the list, especially towards the end of its run.  Apparently, there was a mention of the station in the New York Times, mentioning how solid its execution of the CHR format was.  This was just after the station went all-news.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 24, 2019 9:42 am  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

That signal is still good today and it's the second best HD signal from Buffalo and how one can pull in their second HD feed of Alternative Buffalo. WDCK FM is the strongest, Can't pull in the HD feeds all the time but both are quite consistently catchable.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

February 24, 2019 10:47 am  #6

Although I will always have a fondness for the pre-Drake CHUM, the feistiness of CKFH and the brilliance of the early CFTR, none of them would make my top spot. I’m probably the only person on the planet who would pick WNBC-AM in New York City, around 1975 or so.

That’s when the station went heavy personality in an all-out war with then rival WABC. This version of the “Great 66” was simply unbelievable. Names like Imus in the Morning, Vernon with a V, Dick Summer and the best of the best, Oogie Pringle, were doing things I’ve still never heard since on the radio.

I remember a Halloween night broadcast when Pringle did the entire show as “Oogie’s Ghoulfriend,” using a Dracula-like accent. And I mean the entire show, including all the live spots. It was mind blowingly funny. Or during the time of the Soviet Union, when they pretended that Radio Moscow took over the airwaves and they did a traffic report noting all the roads into the city were blocked because the yak died. (This was long before SCTV did something similar on television.)

You just never knew what they were going to do on any given day and it was must listen here as soon as the sun went down. My runner-up would be WGAR-AM Cleveland, which had a roster of “all day morning men,” including John Lanigan In The Morning, the same Vernon with a V and the absolutely amazing Real Bob James.

It’s no coincidence that John Lund was the P.D. of both stations. Those formats and those stations are long gone now (WNBC was sold and closed, and WFAN occupies the 660 frequency, while WGAR is now a country format on FM) but it’s been over 40 years and I still remember them with great fondness. Both are the ones you think of when they say ‘they don’t do that kind of radio anymore.’

I just wish they did. Because I’d still be listening.

February 24, 2019 11:25 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I’m probably the only person on the planet who would pick WNBC-AM in New York City, around 1975 or so.

WNNNNNNNNNNNNNNBC

February 24, 2019 11:24 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

I’m probably the only person on the planet who would pick WNBC-AM in New York City, around 1975 or so.

That’s when the station went heavy personality in an all-out war with then rival WABC. This version of the “Great 66” was simply unbelievable. Names like Imus in the Morning, Vernon with a V, Dick Summer and the best of the best, Oogie Pringle, were doing things I’ve still never heard since on the radio.

RA, you'll want to hear this...

February 25, 2019 12:01 am  #9

Thanks for that DT. It's great to hear that voice again! Oogie was my favourite, but Bob Vernon was a close second. Appreciate the flashback.

February 25, 2019 2:01 am  #10

I'll take WKBW during the Jeff Kaye era (1966-73) any day.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 26, 2019 12:43 pm  #11

Dial Twister wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

WNNNNNNNNNNNNNNBC

February 26, 2019 1:15 pm  #12

DeepTracks wrote:

Dial Twister wrote:

WNNNNNNNNNNNNNNBC 

Yep.